4
Updated 905 views Translate

What should I consider when picking a profession in the healthcare field?

I am a grade 12 student that will be studying health science at university in September, but I am still not sure about my career goals beyond post-secondary. #healthcare #health-science

4

0

Teresa’s Answer

Hi Lera- Choosing a career can be a difficult decision- often people change their mind after they have done work for a few years and find out that they want to change- I think it's a good idea to talk to people in your desired areas and even go to work with them if you can!
Our hospital started a program called the "shadow" program. It offers students the ability to follow a caregiver for a few hours to see what the work is really like- I think it's a great way to get an inside look at what might interest you. You might call a few hospitals in your area to see if they have a similar program and take a close look at the areas that interest you- Best of luck!
Teresa

0
0

Tia’s Answer

I'm excited that you are interested in healthcare. It's a great field. I suggest finding a part-time position in the business office of a hospital or other healthcare facility, such as a health center, board of health, or doctor's office. You can also volunteer - that's how I got my first job. My best advice is to get as much hands on experience as you can working in various healthcare environments.

Education and credentials are important, but any experience you can gain while you're in school will make you a stronger job candidate when you apply to college and get out in the workforce. Happy to answer any other questions you have.

healthadministration healthcaremanagement
0