What kind of career options are out there for people with an interest in math?

6

I am a college freshman with an interest in math. #math #college

6

José Javier’s Answer

5
Hi Alexia, you're in luck because there's all types of career options out there for people with an interest in math. Just to name a few there are: accountants, actuaries, mathematicians, math teachers, economists, financial planner, statistician, investment analyst, fraud investigator, data scientist, etc.

Most of these careers are very much in demand and pay well so if you study hard and get experience under your belt prior to graduation, you'll be able to select from a number of employers.

Below are some steps I recommend to help you be informed and more confident about your career prospects.

Hope this helps and good luck!

José Javier recommends the following next steps:

• 1. Do some research online about possible career paths (https://www.trade-schools.net/articles/jobs-for-math-majors)
  • 2. Once you identify a 3-5 possible career paths, research them to see what skills are required for the job, what type of personalities are best suited for the job, median salary, etc. (https://www.onetonline.org)
  • 3. Speak to your academic advisor to get their opinion on your career paths and what classes you should take to reach your goal.
Thank you so much for the advise José! I was thinking of taking an accounting course next semester to explore that career field. I also really appreciate the websites you recommended. I will be sure to do more research on the possibilities that are out there. Thanks again! Alexia D. Translate
You're welcome Alexia, best of luck in your future. Take care! José Javier Valencia Translate
5

Kate’s Answer

1
Alexia, in addition to the suggestions above, I would suggest looking into engineering. Math is a big part of engineering and engineering can open you up to a whole range of career options. If you are only in your freshman year you could make the switch to engineering without losing any time since most of the engineering classes freshman year are basic math and science classes.

A big part of engineering, no matter which engineering major you choose, is problem-solving. The problem-solving skills you learn through engineering courses can apply to many career options after graduation. You could even add a math minor to your engineering degree with only taking a few extra courses.
Thank you for the advice, Kate. I'm glad you mentioned engineering. The school I go to is a big engineering school, and I've always been interested in what engineering is like. I will look into engineering courses to see what is available to me. Thanks again! Alexia D. Translate
1

Dianna’s Answer

1
Hello Alexa,

There are so many careers for those that like math and they don't have to always be in the financial sector. I work within Business Transformation and we rely on statistical analysis to identify solutions and benefits (think lean six sigma methodology). It is a large part of the job we do. We are also involved in process/product innovation. Taking it outside my role, organizational budgeting and planning requires a good deal of analysis, forecasting and statistical modeling. If you both like math and to solve problems, these careers might be something you want to look into.

Dianna recommends the following next steps:

• Find out more about process and product innovation and agile methodology
  • Research Data Analytics Opportunities
Thank you for your thoughts, Dianna. I enjoyed statistics in high school, so this might be a career I would enjoy. I will look deeper into the topics you mentioned. Thanks again! Alexia D. Translate
1

Regina’s Answer

0
Hello Alexia,

There are many career options if you are interested in math. I have degrees in Math, and I included computer programming classes as electives. While in college, I had three internships in which I utilized my math and computer programming skills. My first internship involved using statistics to analyze chemical data at a nuclear energy company. The second and third internships were at a research and development company in which my focus was on writing computer programs that used mathematical algorithms to predict climate change. I enjoyed all of these internships, but each provided me with the opportunity to see that there were many careers across many industries for someone interested in math.

Almost every job involves some type of math. But, most important is to determine which career is best for you. Try to complete this statement: If I had to stay up late at night for my job, I would like to be ___________.

Below is a link that has information on math careers and mathematicians. I hope you find it helpful.

https://www.trade-schools.net/articles/jobs-for-math-majors
0

Ash’s Answer

0
Hi!

Majoring in math is perfect as you can learn a lot in any industry.

Industries to learn about:
- Finance: Research Analyst, Financial Analyst, Statistician, Trader
- Healthcare: Operations, Insurance Statistician, Data Architect
- Retail: Pricing Analyst, Ads Analyst, Planning

Generally, you can always work in Data Analytics across an industry you like!
Thank you, Ash. I will do more research into the industries that you mentioned. I enjoy statistics, so these jobs might be of interest to me. Thanks again! Alexia D. Translate
0