Where is a good engineering school?

I am a sophomore in high school studying manufacturing.
#mechanical-engineering

7

Kevin’s Answer

Hi Samuel,

Glad to hear of your interest in Engineering! My suggestion to you would be to think long and hard about where you would like to spend 4 years geographically. There are many strong Engineering programs across the US - you need to figure out where you want to be. Are you content with moving away from home? How far away are you comfortable with? Where do you think you'd want to live after graduation? These are some of the questions you should be asking yourself to figure out what schools will make the most sense. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you would like to discuss this further.

Thanks,
Kevin

2

Brett’s Answer

University of Louisville's Speed School of Engineering - I graduated with a Masters in Mechanical Engineering from there. I was well prepared for my career. They have very good relationships with area businesses/corporations which makes for great co-op opportunities. They offer a 5 year Masters program which many students take advantage of.

1

Xavier’s Answer

Two of my friends studied engineering at East Carolina University, and they speak very highly of the program. I can't specifically tell you myself how great it is, but I do know that they both went off to be very successful in that field after graduating.

1

Rick’s Answer

I went to school for Electrical Engineering in JWU Providence RI... They have a good program. I also considered Boston University and Northeastern University. Boston & Northeastern does have a very recognized program in the industry.

Thank you. Samuel H.

1

Nicole’s Answer

Hi Samuel H.

As a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania School of Engineering and Applied Science, I admit to being a little biased on good programs :). Now, thanks to tools like Google, you can quickly and easily look up "good" engineering schools. I put "good" in quotations marks because what works for one person may not work for another person. Location, cost, engineering disciplines...these are all things that could play a role in what schools and engineering programs would be best for you..and lead to graduation :). Good Luck!

1

Jarenn’s Answer

Besides having great academics and an active campus, you may want to consider where it is you want to work one day and how can that school help you get there? Consider what companies may come to recruit from those campuses, or what programs may work directly with companies that you'd like to apply to someday. My previous company which is a large aerospace manufacturer heavily recruited at MIT and Purdue for example.

0

Paul’s Answer

Hi Samuel. As you can guess, there a LOT of good engineering schools throughout our country. You hash tagged mechanical engineering, so I assume that's your focus? Because what kind of engineering will change the list of top schools.

I can tell you this much. The top 3 engineering schools in the country for new product development are UCLA, MIT and Georgia Tech. But places like Carnegie-Mellon, Purdue and many, many others are excellent schools.

If you need a resource, try US News and World Report. They do an annual ranking of US colleges, and may have a list for engineering schools.

Hope that helps.

0