What is something that helped you throughout the process of getting a teaching job?

8

I am an eighth grader who is wondering about things that could help me get a job teaching. I am looking for some advice about teaching and some smart decisions that you made that helped you become an educator. #job #teaching #education

8

Kimberly’s Answer

0
Hi Emily! If you are already thinking about teaching, then this is a field you should definitely give it a try! I would suggest starting to look for volunteer opportunities with various age groups to find out what age you connect with the most. You can do anything from volunteering to help in a classroom, working as a summer camp as a camp counselor, baby sitting, or helping out at an event. Then you can take it a step farther as to see what kind of teaching (i.e. preschool, general education, special education, single subject, etc.). After trying out a variety of age groups to work with, you will find out which one best suits you. Once you know, you know!
Thank you so much. I will try to put myself out there and try different options! Emily S. Translate
0

Melinda’s Answer

0
Good luck in your journey. As others have mentioned, some volunteering experience might be helpful. Also, if you are involved in a community organization or church, you might be able to find volunteer positions working with kids in those organizations. One thing to keep in mind is that being a teacher is not all about teaching and mentoring students. It also includes a lot of administrative work, busywork, bus duty, lunch duty, hall monitor duty, dealing with misbehavior, uncooperative parents, etc. As long as you are going into the field with your eyes wide open to all the things that come with teaching, I encourage you to pursue it. We always need dedicated teachers with a passion for teaching.
0

0
Realizing that I was doing it for the students, not for myself.
0

Kristin’s Answer

0
Hi, Emily!

Teaching is such a rewarding career! Asking yourself what grade level and subject area you might want to teach is a great start. This may or may not change as you get older and gain more experience, but having an idea of what interests you will help you narrow down your options and plan a clear path toward starting your teaching career. It's also never too early to start planning for college. :-) You could start researching education programs at colleges that interest you. Typically, colleges separate education students in elementary education and secondary education programs. Also, if you plan on teaching in MA, you could start looking into their teacher certification requirements as you plan for college. Doing this may save you some time in the long run.
Thank you! Emily S. Translate
0

Cristina’s Answer

0
Hi Emily! It is never too early to start thinking about going to college. Good job! Growing up, I always thought I wanted to be a teacher. When I started high school, I started volunteering at a local elementary school and a few years later transitioned into a paid tutoring job. That work experience led to me getting a job at a high school as an instructional aide for special education students. I am now working towards becoming a college counselor, but all the experience working with students throughout my life has been valuable and has made me the educator I am today.

Cristina recommends the following next steps:

• Brainstorm :) would you like to volunteer in your community? If so, what grade level? What subject?
Thank you for your advice! Emily S. Translate
0

Matthew’s Answer

0
Becoming a teacher is great choice, because it is a job that is always in demand.

Matthew recommends the following next steps:

• Continue to get good grades in school
  • Volunteer to work with kids (camps, sports, tutor)
  • Go to college
  • Get a degree in whatever interests you the most
  • In college, become a teaching assistant, and once you graduate you will have a teaching job!
0

Jenna’s Answer

0
Many high schools have programs you can sign up for to let you volunteer and work with children. You can shadow at a daycare or work with elementary kids in a after school program. Check with your school counselors for a list of programs you are qualified for.
Thank you so much for your help! Emily S. Translate
0

Shawnee’s Answer

0
Emily - Volunteering or working part-time at a daycare has been helpful. Also, if you find a teacher that you are comfortable with ask them if they would mentor your or give advice.
I will definitely do this. Thank you! Emily S. Translate
0