Whats the best way about being a surgeon when you have a family or are planning to have one? Is it better to be a general surgeon or go into specialty?

Updated Providence, Rhode Island

Im really focused on becoming a vernal surgeon since it is my dream since I was little, and I am personally a family oriented person who would love to have a family of my own someday. But i realized that general surgeons work up to 12 hours daily and have to be available at ALL time when on "on call". Whats holding me back is that if I become a general surgeon i won't have time for my family and I don't want that so thats why I'm deciding whether or not I should even pursue that! Id like some advice from someone who's in this situation or who knows someone else in this situation! #doctor #parents #medical #hospital-and-health-care

Angela’s Answer

Updated Chicago, Illinois
There are many subspecialties in surgery....I think being a doctor is not an easy career but if you still want to pursue surgery, you may need to find a speciality that will meet your needs in regards to having a family and still be a surgeon. Try to interview surgeons at your local city or community and see what they say. I personally work with oncology surgeons and they do surgeries during the week and still have a life that they can spend with their families. I hope this helps.

Angela’s Answer

Updated Santa Rosa, California
Any physician works long hours regardless of the specialty. The key is to pick the area you love so it doesn’t feel like forever and you always do your best. Many physicians have families and manage to juggle both family and profession. Don’t let your “ what ifs” stop you before you start! Go talk with some doctors and see how they handle professional and family demands.