I wan to know whats the right career for me.

8

I love performing but i am not confident. I am good at maths. i am also moody. #career-choice #career-choice #career

8

1
Sakshi,

Even though this question is asked often, it is still one of my favorites. The best part about it is that only you can answer that question.

Being good at math is great. Does that mean you understand the concept of money and would be interested in a Finance degree and possibly a job in accounting? What kind of background do you have, educationally speaking? The performing arts are a great passion that many people have but sadly, you have to be within the top 10% of the world to really do something about it to earn a solid wage worth living off of.

I highly suggest you make a pros and cons list and evaluate what you are willing to put into a career and what skills and trades you have to offer. Again, only you can decide what would be best for you. Doing a personal evaluation (introspection) is a great way to really figure yourself out and decide what you really have and what you want out of life.
1

Lynn’s Answer

1
Hi Sakshi,

You are not alone! Most of us wonder which is the right career path to take when still in school and for some, this is still a question mark even after graduation.

Being great at Math is awesome and allows you to consider various fields like Mathematician, Teacher, Data analyst, Research etc.

If this is an area where you decide to venture into, do consider speaking to professionals in those fields to understand how is a day in their work like, the challenges that they face and aspects of the job which they enjoy. This will give you a sense of whether that is something that you like to do.

You also mentioned that you like performing. That is a passion and people who choose to pursue their passion as a career are often admirable.
Confidence is something which you can build up over time, e.g .find more opportunities to perform, get people in your circle to help support and build up your performance skills and confidence.

Wishing you a sparkly future!

Lynn
1

Timothy’s Answer

0
Hi Sakshi,

That's perfectly fine!! As some of the others have pointed out it's more important that you are honest about what you think are your strengths and even your perceived weaknesses. Having self-awareness of yourself and your ability is going to be a very valuable for you as you embark on your career journey.

One thing I've learned is that your career journey, what you end up doing, where you find success, what you end up enjoying, is sometimes not the product or outcome of your education, decisions or even what you're good it. I believe it's the outcome of your experiences and perspective and decisions that you make today. Not tomorrow. So don't worry about your 'weaknesses' inhibiting what you think you should do or not do. Just do it and let that experience tell you.

It may turn out to be a bad experience and you may realize that this is not what you want to do. In fact, it may even be a good experience but you somehow realize that that's not what you want to do. Maybe throughout those experiences and in your journey you may meet people that inspire you that you respect and you end up finding that you actually enjoy doing something in your career that you possibly can't imagine today.

So in summary,
1. focus on what you want to do today and not what you think you'd end up doing in the future.
2. don't discount yourself! being self-aware of who you are will allow you to work on those perceived weaknesses and be better; it's a part of your journey! Most importantly don't ever let your own perceived flaws discourage you from pursuing what you what to do! Being honest of your perceived 'weaknesses' is a strength in itself as it shows a desire and drive to improve yourself.

Hope this helps and all the best!

0

Christina’s Answer

0
Hi Sakshi, I understand your situation a lot since I had also experienced it the I was young. I think one of the first thing you can do is keep trying new things. If you already understand you love performing, is it possible for you to join more performing events? I believe through different experiences , you will understand yourself more such as do you want to turn this hobby into a profession? Secondly, you can also gain more exposures in those experiences which may lead to more chances of performing. Also you will meet a lot of people who share the similar interest as you and you will get a lot of inspiration from them as well.

Besides, you said that you are good at maths. Do you want to turn it as a profession? Since doing great at something does not mean you have to work as a profession. Maths is overall a project that trains our mind and our logic as well, which can be applied to a lot of profession as well. Maybe you can start by understanding which kind of maths you love the most and list out all its related profession. Doing more research and talk to more people will certainly help a lot.

Good luck to you! :)
0

Agnieszka’s Answer

0
Hi Sakshi,
I can share with you my experience. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, so I tried to get to some internship every summer. First I found what I don't like pretty quickly- that's very important as you don't want to get stuck with doing things you don't like. Luckily I found also what I like doing. I searched also for the companies that are looking to develop talents and I participated in the program, where I could change the department every 6 months (in a bank). That gave me a great chance to lear a lot and develop.

So keeping fingers for you!

And btw, if you like performing- have you tried to record your performances, just for yourself? This is a great opportunity to see what was good, what can be done better. Next time you do it, you can see that you're slightly better than yourself previous time! And that's great!
take care
0

Lynn’s Answer

0
Hi Sakshi,

Wishing you a sparkly future!

Lynn
0

Ramesh’s Answer

0
While you are trying to explore the options by going through every 6 months internship, in the meanwhile, as you go along in this journey, try to minimize your options and get some clarity of your thought process. So once you know what are the top two things you need to focus/interesting for you so you can engage yourself in that section.

Bottom line, don't over analyze and get to the bottom of the area interest and go deeper with good passion and motivation for your success.

0

Clarice’s Answer

0
It's important to be good in Math so kudos to you! It was one of the few subjects which I excelled in school and over the years, as an adult, I find it very useful to have a good grasp on numbers. This could open up a few career paths for you in the future including advanced physics and engineering.

As for the part where you mentioned about being moody, it's okay to feel that way sometimes. Just remember that you can be whoever you want to be and still excel in your career!

0

Zonda’s Answer

0
Hi Sakshi,

First, I Love the honesty you give about yourself. These true acknowledgments help us recognize things about ourselves that we can work on to improve. Being moody and less confidant doesn't make you a bad person, but can help you as you seek to build a career and establish yourself. As a person that is not a fan of math - at all, I salute you. You have the opportunity to explore many fields and positions to discover what suits you best - even in the world of performing. While you may not be ready for the bright lights you can work to acquire funding for the events. You can learn the in's and out's of the backend of the business, such as acquiring permits, interviewing and obtaining staff, production management, and so on. You can also perform in community theatres - taking smaller roles until you build up your confidence. If you like something, don't be afraid to go after it.

In the meantime, try and find programs that will allow you to shadow differing job types. Many companies offer internships and volunteer opportunities to young people so they can learn the accuments of their business and products. Keep yourself open to all types of fields, you never know what will interest you and where you will find that you can add value.

Finally, don't think that you cannot become a performer. Many of the greats are very shy and are only their true selves when they walk out onto the stage and share their gift with the world.

I know you will find your true calling.....all the best!!

Zonda recommends the following next steps:

• Search for internships and volunteer opportunities
  • Try community theatres - work in aspects of the production
  • Build a resume of all your experiences. The more skills you have, the better you position yourself.
0