What are some disadvantages of having a job in manufacturing.

My name is Nick, I am eighteen, and I am looking into manufacturing jobs. #consulting #job #manufacturing

2

Stephen’s Answer

I will start by making an assumption that your question is what disadvantages are unique to a job in manufacturing.

Technology change that obsoletes the methods your job uses to manufacture the product can be a disadvantage. This can apply to non-manufacturing jobs but in my opinion often plays a more significant impact on manufacturing jobs. I would like to highlight that this can also be an advantage for an individual or factory that has prepared for a change and are willing to adopt new methods.

Another disadvantage is the capital investment required to support most manufacturing operations. Many business do not want to have large capital investments as a part of the overall costs. Capital investments include land, buildings and equipment. This disadvantage can lead to the selling off of the manufacturing operation to another company with a plan to purchase the manufactured parts or products from this new company for sale by the existing company. This kind of change can be very disruptive to manufacturing jobs. The goals of the new company can include consolidate with existing manufacturing operations which are often in other locations.

Manufacturing jobs can be less safe that non-manufacturing jobs. Machines and tools or electrical or chemical processes almost always have specific rules of operation that greatly reduce this risk. Many manufacturing jobs require personal discipline to remain safe on the job.

It is important to consider that any disadvantage, once understood, can be limited or avoided all together. I have been a part of change that has led to growth, new opportunity and significant rewards.

0

Karli’s Answer

I would say it could be labor-intensive and require a lot of skills & training. If you are willing to put in the work, that won't be a problem!

0