What is the daily life of working on a logging crew?

I am interested in working on a logging crew, but I am worried about the daily life. Do these people typically get to come home every night, or do they just live on site the whole time? Is there really any educational requirements after a high school diploma? Are there any special licenses that I will need to get? #forestry

2

Thomas’s Answer

Here is what one logger had to say:
"I get up 3:30 a.m. every morning, and leave my house at 4:30 a.m. I get to the job, skid logs from the woods to the skid landings. Then, trucks can load them and haul them up to the mill. At about noon, I maintain the machine. And then I go to the unit where I lay strips out for the cutters so they can start cutting. That's pretty much my whole day."

Here is a more information: https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/11/logger/507848/

0

Nick’s Answer

I worked with a forester cleaning up a campground after a forest fire. I was on the erosion control with usually 3-4 other people. Every day we would start at 8 am, pick up logs and branches and feed them into a woodchipper. We got an hour long lunch break at noon and ended at 5 Monday through Friday.

0