I want to become a psychiatrist. What courses should I take in High school to prepare me for my future?

3
Pros
3
0

Dakayla’s Answer

Hello Kelsey. You could take psychology and any other psychology related classes that may be offered.
0

Tiona’s Answer

If you can take a psychology class or child development that would be a great help. Probably more important than high school coursework would be any activities that hone your ability to listen actively and cultivate empathy. Remember that the therapeutic relationship and allowing others to experience the feeling of knowing another truly understands them. Volunteering in any capacity is a great teacher. Finally, the art of self-care is one that is taught minimally in medical school. Being able to practice self compassion and a regenerative lifestyle separates the physician who remains passionate about her work and makes a meaningful contribution from those who become disillusioned and execute their roles as nothing more than glorified bar tenders.
0

Susan Delphine’s Answer

It is very important that you find out for sure if you are cut out for science! Take the hardest Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Math courses available.

Med school is ALL science. One semester I had ten science courses, 23 graduate hours.

And, BTW, the best way to get a perfect record is to try for the HIGHEST A in every course.
0