How many times do you have to go on an interview to get a job?

Greetings! I'm Ms. Brown at the International Community School. My 2nd graders have a few questions and I'd like to share your advice with them. Thanks in advance!

#interviewing #jobs

5

Manda’s Answer

Most professional jobs have a multi-step hiring process. It usually starts with a resume screen, then a phone interview, then between one and three in-person interviews. If you get to the interview stage at multiple jobs, you'll end up doing a lot of interviews! In the last year, my company has been doing virtual interviews through video conferencing software (i.e. Zoom). Our candidates do a phone interview, then a video interview with the hiring manager, then a video interview with 3 other people from the company. In general, entry-level jobs (for example, to work at a restaurant) might only require one interview, but more technical or professional jobs (such as to be a software engineer or a manager) will require two or more interviews.

2

Kimberly’s Answer

Hi. It depends on what type of job you're interviewing for. Most professional job usually have a phone interview and an in-person interview. Most people have to apply to several jobs before they get an interview. The best thing to do is PREPARE for the interview. Think about what kind of questions you might get asked and try to come up with answers and examples before going into the interview.

Kimberly recommends the following next steps:

Chat with older cousins or family members and ask them what did to get the job and what kind of questions did they ask you.

Kimberly offers great advice. I'll add that expressing your interest in the job can go a long way with the interviewer. You never want to assume the interviewer knows how interested you are in the position. Its best to express your interest upfront and clearly. Best of luck! Claudio Alvarez

1

Gabby’s Answer

Hi Ms. Brown,

Your 2nd graders are very inquisitive! As mentioned previously, it will depend on the type of industry and position you've applied for. In my experience, I've typically seen 1-2 for service industry roles and 3-5 in corporate positions, but as many as 8. Occasionally I've experienced the causal interview, more talking and getting to know one another or the behavioral based interviews with set questions. In addition, I've seen the process last from a few weeks to several months, depending on the role. There are also different types of interviews, from phone, video or in person to panel interviews (an interview with more than 1 hiring manager, typically 2-3).

I've also found it appropriate when a candidate asks me "what does the interview process look like?" This question is helpful because it can give you, as the candidate, an idea of what to expect the process to look like, so you can prepare and understanding timing. Good luck educating our future candidates!

0

Katelyn’s Answer

Each position will likely have a different interview process. The more experienced a role is, the more likely it is that there will be multiple interviews and/or interviewers involved in the process. There are different interview formats that can include 1 interviewer to 1 candidate, panel formats that can include multiple interviewers to one candidate, or group interviews which include multiple candidates and multiple interviewers. I echo the advice that no matter the format, the best thing you can do for an interview is to prepare. Think back on your skillset and examples and come prepared to discuss those.

0

Manoj’s Answer

Number of times you have to go for an interview depends on how many people want to listen and talk to you . Sometimes the interview could be just one interview with say 4 people in the room talking with you. We call that a 'group' interview. Each person in the room with you can ask questions to you . Sometimes, the interview could be just 1:1 where only one person talks with you and tries to understand you better . For most jobs, you should always be prepared to interview with 3-4 people .

0