Can you ask an employer for the adverage salary?

6

#interviewing I am heading into interviews and was wondering if it was ok to ask an employer/interviewer what the average pay was for a certain position in their company. Is this appropriate to ask or should I just use websites like Indeed?

6

Hannah’s Answer

0
I don't recommend asking before or during an interview.

If they offer you the job during the interview and give you a specific salary number, say you'd need to take a day to review the formal offer and have them email it to you. Try not to react to the # if it's higher than you expected! Don't accept on the spot.

If they offer you the position via email or phone after the interview and you're excited about the number, again ask them to send over a formal offer as well as include any benefits information. Say you need to review the entire compensation package, which may include benefits or time off.
Even if the pay is fair, always ask for slightly more.

If they offer you the position and it's much less than you were hoping to make, say "oh I was actually hoping to be around $____/year for my next role, which seems standard for my position and location - are you able to speak to management and put together a higher offer?" Arm yourself with information about your position and expected salary by looking at websites like glassdoor and salary.com.

If it's an hourly position and they offer you an amount you're okay with, ask for $1-2 dollars more per hour, at least, just because. They will most likely give you slightly more than their original offer, but worst case scenario they say no! No one is going to withdraw their offer because you countered.

0

Allison’s Answer

0
Yes, you can ask. Wait until they ask you what salary you are expecting to earn. Then be sure to bounce the ball back to them by asking what range they had in mind or was budgeted for that role. They should come back with a range. NEVER EVER drop a number or range first. You will be low-balled. Always make sure they throw out a number first. Then decide from there if you are comfortable with that. Good luck!
0

Poonam’s Answer

0

1. CHOOSE THE CORRECT MOMENT:

It presumably goes without saying that questioning how much remuneration you could get is forbidden inside the initial couple of minutes (see likewise: seconds) of your interview.

Not just would it show you’re more intrigued by the money than you are for the job, it could likewise infer that you don’t have much to offer as far as aptitudes and experience.

Along these lines, before you begin to consider the amount you’re making, ensure you cover the various interview bases first. That includes, aspects like skills and experience.

for more: Asking About Salary During The Interview

0

Lisa’s Answer

0

Hi Laurel, Im not sure there is an ‘average salary’ necessarily, and an employer is going to pay you as little as they can while still being competitive. That said, I think you could say something like, “The industry range for this position in this region is this to this. Will this role likely be paying something close to this range for a qualified applicant?” They might ask you, at that point, what your desired salary is and then what your salary was at your last job. Its okay to ask for more than your last job as long as you can justify how you’ve advanced your skills and business value.

Good luck and feel free to contact me directly for additional questions!

0

Andrea’s Answer

0

And just to add to the great comments above, more and more cities (Boston, NY, San Francisco as an example) are prohibiting employers from asking about your current or former salary.

As Allison said, salary will come up in the conversations, but don't be the first person to throw out a number. If you haven't been asked about the salary range by the second interview, you should feel confident and OK to ask "What is the salary range for this role?"

0

Mario’s Answer

0

It is generally frowned upon to directly ask for the salary but I did learn one trick that has worked for me in the past. If in an interview you're asked by the recruiter or interviewer how much you're expecting to make, I respond with my own question; "Does this position have a salary range? I'm flexible with salary."

0