What kind of colleges should I take?

For me being currently in 10th grade, I should be looking for further education. I'm sure there are people who don't mind skipping college. But I want to find out what is best for me.

#colleges

2

Andrew’s Answer

Hey Covon,

I'm currently a senior and let me say that college is very uncertain even up to the last year of undergrad. As such, even if you do know what you want to pursue or even if you don't, college is an opportunity to maximize your time in finding your passions and building relationships. If given the chance, I would definitely recommend experiencing college life, as it helps give you a small hint of the real world and also a head start on your career explorations.

Now, there may be obstacles that many students tend to face like being financially unstable or not having motivation to continue their education. I just want you to know that it's never too late. Don't let those things discourage you. There are student financial and advisement programs to help fund your education and various planning tools to compensate for them later on.

Whether you begin college later than usual or graduation is pushed back a semester or two, it doesn't matter. Take the time to research majors, study abroad opportunities, and program benefits, so you can utilize them fully. Once you decide and accept that college offer, keep taking advantage of opportunities during your undergraduate years. Like Niranjan advised, most students realize their passions and decide on their major towards junior/senior year, during the graduate/master's level, or even after they have a job. It is important to understand that undergraduate is just the beginning.

One thing to take away from this is ask for help when you need it. There are many resources to help guide you along the way, but it is your responsibility to seek assistance. The more perspective you gain from counselors, teachers, and family/friends, the easier it'll be in reaching your destination.

I wish you the very best in finishing high school and good luck with all of your future endeavors!

0

Niranjan’s Answer

Hi Covon,

Getting a college degree is always a good thing. It broadens ones prospects in life and gives you the skills to perform jobs that pay higher than those you would get with a high school degree.

Since you are in the 10th grade, you are at the right point in time for trying to figure out potential majors for college. Try to think about which subjects you are good at in school or if there are any subjects that you really like. Talk to your teachers, school counselors and family to find out what types of degrees you can pursue in college based on the subjects of your preference. You can do a lot of this research by simply browsing the internet.

Also, you do not need to have a clear career path even when you join college. In most colleges you may wait till the sophomore or junior year to declare a major.

Check out the following link for additional information:

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/should-you-go-to-college-525564

0