What careers would be the best fit for my interests?

I am a junior in high school and since college is right around the corner I want to start to think about what careers I would be interested in. My favorite hobby to do is to sing and I have been taking lessons for about 2 years. I also like to play sports such as soccer and volley ball but I feel like I am better at singing. I know that singing is a very hard industry to get in to so I hope to get more ideas on what I should do. #singing

3

Matthew’s Answer

Hi Sara,

It's great that you have a lot of different interests! That passion will help you do well in college. As your interests are likely to evolve over time, I would look for an undergraduate program where you can take singing lessons as well as some academic classes in History, English, etc.

While in school you can participate in different choirs to get practice singing in addition to your lessons.

As far as careers go, you can be a voice teacher, music teacher, join a choir, audition for theatre performances, etc. To teach you may want to consider getting a teaching certification, either while you're in school or after.

Let me know if you want to discuss any of these ideas further. I have a one cousin who is teaching music class in middle school, and another who gives private singing lessons.

Best,
Matt

Thanks for your input! Do you know any colleges that I should apply to that would give me the opportunity to explore these careers that you mentioned? Sara N.

Here is a pretty good list of undergraduate programs for music: http://music-schools.findthebest.com/d/d/Undergraduate Matthew Rendely

Thank you so much for your help! Sara N.

1