what education is needed to be a event planner

5

Kate’s Answer

Many colleges and universities offer courses in event planning, but a lot of the skills you learn in other aspects of your day-to-day life and education could be applied to this role, without needing to study it.
Project management (which encompasses many skills: attention to detail, organization, stakeholder management, keeping to deadlines, leadership, communication) - you could take a Project Management Course, such as APM
Production - the best education to be a producer in my opinion is through on-the-job experience. Explore work experience options - in entertainment venues, concert halls, or a creative studio.
That being said, I used to organize a lot of events and came from an education background of European Studies - sometimes we take meandering routes to our dream job, picking up transferable skills along the way.

Kate recommends the following next steps:

Plan your own event! A birthday party is an event! A charity fundraiser is an event! A dinner party is an event! A trip to the Zoo is an event! Take note of the things you love about planning an event, and also the things you find difficult about organizing an event, and start building up the skills that may be absent.
1

Thaynan’s Answer

When it comes to "requirements to perform as an event planner", it may vary from one location to another. Now, what you could do is consider majors/courses that may help you reach your goal. Try to narrow down about the type of events you wish to plan/manage as this can help you in your research as well.

If you are unsure about your decision, you could reach out or browse online about the field, including an event planning company/person (preferably in the location and niche you wish to perform as such), so we can see the day-to-day of the profession. Don't be shy: ask them what they have done to achieve their current situation as well.

If you know this is what you want to do, then I would suggest you take a look into the curriculum of the following degrees/certifications, since they can help you become a professional event planner. I suggest you to also research about the school/course, so you can get more details about what to expect. Courses and degrees may include:

- Event Planning (like those quick courses);
- Hospitality;
- Public Relations (highly suggest taking a look at https://www.prsa.org/. The idea here, in the PR world, is events for relationship management purposes)

I hope this helps! :)
0

Vanessa Marie’s Answer

Hi Jayden,

I know that there are several programs at colleges and universities that offer Event Planning. However, as an individual that worked in the Hospitality industry for several years before joining the Financial Services industry, I believe the best education would be through hands on work experience. Find a niche industry that you are passionate about, whether that be Animal Care, Food and Beverage, or non-profit/Volunteering, and begin gaining that hands-on experience to learn the hard skills of planning, budgeting, recruiting volunteers/staff, and ultimately carrying out the specific event itself. Additionally, the greater amount of time that you spend planning and executing events, no matter how small, you will excel in those skills and it will become second nature to you. I hope this helps, and wish you the best of luck in your bright future!
0

Pro’s Answer

A bachelor's degree in hospitality, communications, public relations, or a related field
0

Molly’s Answer

Check out the Occupational Outlook Handbook; Lots of great information: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/meeting-convention-and-event-planners.htm
0