What is the difference between software engineer and developers?

I am thinking of majoring in computer science, but I don't know what kind of major I want in computer science. #software-engineer

2

This is what I found:

Both software developers and software engineers are highly skilled professionals who can build software from the ground up.

Distinguishing between the two is sometimes tricky, though, because employers aren’t always precise about the two roles. Meanwhile, the job descriptions themselves overlap a bit. Adding to the confusion? Software engineers sometimes get involved in software development—but most software developers are not software engineers.

Not to worry. We did a little digging into the differences between the two fields to make them clear:

The role of software developers is typically more limited in scale than an engineer’s role, allowing developers to be more creative in their solutions.
Software engineers work on a larger scale, so they tend to be more systematic in their thinking.
The educational paths diverge somewhat, too. Software developers usually major in Computer Science or study software creation in fields such as Computer Game and Entertainment Technology. Software developers are responsible for creating programs. Programmers may be the ones actually writing the code, but developers work with them to design, test and tweak programs.

0

John Jairo’s Answer

I have been working as a Software Engineer for a while now, and moving aside from the technicalities of the terms, in practice most companies do not differentiate both terms.

That said, in my opinion, the term Engineer involves being able to handle a broader scope of problems. It also means that you will be involved in more than just writing code (which means you will meet other people and work towards defining a proper solution for a specific problem, you will also handle design and planning activities, among others). The term developer is more focused on tasks related to writing code, which you will also do if you are an engineer.

0