What are jobs where i get to work with specail needs children?

im a junior in highschool. i want to help special needs kids learn but in not sure of the teacher setting. I currently participate in a cheer team that combines athletes with and without disiabilities and really enjoy that. teaching specialeducation

3
Pros
3
0

Alison’s Answer

Hi Natalie! What a great question you have. You are very young and it is great you have identified your passion early on.

I was very similar to you and began working at after school programs in high school and early college. From there I got intern positions in the schools, and worked on research projects at my university studying students who are disabled or low income. After I graduated I went into the Americorps and worked for the response to intervention team to assist in data collection for students pending special education but not there yet. After I became an inclusion assistant who worked with special education students in the classroom according to their IEPs. I also worked as a Behavioral Interventionist who worked under a BCBA for students on the Autism Spectrum.

From there, I transitioned into Enrollment for a school and then into the Special Education Services team where we contract with companies to ensure special education students get their services.

I say all this to say there are a lot of paths within special education. Services for Special Education such as BCBA, Occupational Therapy, Counseling, APE, Vision these are all Services special education students need.

Therefore these are great paths to look into if your interested in special education and maybe not teaching. Most professionals in special education have a bachelor's, credential, and/or masters in the field of study.

Alison recommends the following next steps:

I recommend since you are young and have time try to get a job or volunteer position in one of these realms.
Also, start researching some of the paths mentioned above and see if they interest you.
Look into what the education requirements are for these fields.
Try to gain as much experience and contacts as you can early on for references, places of observation, volunteer and research opportunities later on.
thank you so much! natalie K.
Hi Natalie! Of course, glad to help. Let us know if you have any further questions! Alison Morales
3
Pros
3
0