Would it be better to tranfer to an university to study pediatric physical therapy?

Should I go straight into an university or should I transfer to an university after two years of community college.

Question Topics

icon-country-tagsunited-states-of-america

181

10

Two answers:

Some people start at community college because it is usually cheaper than enrolling in a 4-year college from the get-go. But if you can afford it and have the smarts to get into a 4-year college from the start, I would recommend that.

I would disagree with Sophia (but really it's just my opinion.) However, if you plan on pursuing a doctorate in physical therapy, you'll be attending at least seven years of school. The amount of money adds up extremely fast, and most PT's graduate with over $100k in debt.

The less expensive your undergraduate program the easier it will be to pay that debt off. My recommendation is to start in a community college and work your butt off for a high GPA -- classes there will be a little easier. Transfer those courses to a 4-year institution and maintain that GPA. (Expect to need a 3.5 to be accepted http://www.ptcas.org/uploadedFiles/PTCASorg/About_PTCAS/PTCASApplicantDataRpt.pdf although there are always exceptions)

While you're an undergraduate, join whatever "pre-physical therapy" club your school has and volunteer in it. I was in the presidency of mine for a short time and it made a huge difference in understanding the profession, knowing what would be expected in graduate school, and meeting professors and therapists who were able to really mentor me.

I think that staying at one school the entire four years can be advantageous IF: a) you get ACTIVELY involved in the aforementioned clubs as a freshman, by the time you're a senior you'll have met pretty much everyone on campus involved in physical therapy. Including faculty. b) you have a scholarship offer to the 4-year school c) You attend a university with an accelerated 3+3 program and receive in-state tuition which would allow you to skip your senior year as an undergraduate and immediately begin DPT school. (These are few and far between but you can find them by googling "Accelerated DPT" or "3+3 DPT program.") Here are a couple examples: http://drexel.edu/cnhp/academics/undergraduate/BS-DPT-Physical-Therapy-Option/ https://cph.temple.edu/pt/degree-programs/doctor-physical-therapy-dpt/33-accelerated-pre-baccalaureate-admission

P.S. I did all the work assuming that I'd want to become a physical therapist. However, after being involved on campus, I earned a position as a teaching assistant and found that I love doing that. So I earned a 2-year associate's degree in physical therapist assistantship and will work as a PTA while earning my PhD.

Being a PTA is a great career that pays very well -- especially if you'd rather be in school for 2 years instead of 7. Don't rule it out if you haven't yet done research on it.

Best of luck! Brendon Larsen