6
Updated 214 views Translate

In computer programming, what should I focus on most?

It would be helpful if there was something significant to focus on if I were to start computer programming.

6

1

Chad’s Answer

Learn concepts; I mean really learn them - like functions, classes, extensions and overrides. There are some very common concepts in programming that are in every programming language. Unlocking that knowledge and understanding will allow you to seamlessly move from one language to another.
1
0

Kendalle,

The best way to get started in computer programming is to start coding and have fun with it. In addition to taking classes in HS or getting a technical degree, there are a lot of great and free online sites to learn how to code. More coding (formal classes or self learning) will only help you get better.

Start by finding a language that you are interesting in learning and try to learn it. As a beginner I would suggest a modern programing language like Java, Node.js, Python, etc.

Once you gain the basics and have a good foundation try coding challenges. There are a lot of sites out there that give a problem that you need to code the solution for. As a bonus several companies use sites like this as part of the technical interview process.

Learn to code sites (there are more out there):
https://www.khanacademy.org/computing/computer-programming
https://www.codecademy.com/catalog

Coding Challenges (one of several out there):
https://www.hackerrank.com/
0
0

Josh’s Answer

I would say the best way to get started is by trying to learn the basic concepts, data structures, and algorithms that are the foundation of CS. If you simply search up CS101 I'm sure there will be lots of resources that offer to teach this. This is a personal preference by I would also say try to start with Python if you can. Python is extremely simple to get started with and I think for beginners is much less likely to scare you off than a language like Java or C++.
0
0

Shweta’s Answer

Here are 5 things you need to focus on when learning how to code:
-Understanding the Basics
-One Language at a Time
-Whether you’re learning to code by following tutorials or by reading a book, you should always type along. Reading the code will only get you so far since it doesn’t help you to understand how the code works.
-You need to do a lot of programming, make mistakes, and fix them. This is the only way that you’re going to get better.
-Learning how object-oriented programming works is a perfect step after you completely understand the basics.

Hope this helps!
0
0

Patricia’s Answer

Learn how to write clean, understandable and reusable code. You WILL have to go back to code you've written years before or others will be revisiting it. Well constructed code is appreciated and admired.
Here's a few rules for a starter
No magic numbers
One source of truth
Comment, comment, comment.

Look at other peoples code. You'll soon see what makes reading and maintaining code easier and harder.
0
0

Oanh’s Answer

Oanh's answer: You should familiar with Computer Architecture and Data Basics, understand the Internet Works, practice with Some Command-Line Basics, take some HTML class, start programming with JavaScrip, complete Python Bootcamp - it is a powerful general - purpose programming language, an excellent language to learn to program for beginners.
0