Christi W.





What kind of education should a teacher have?

I am wondering what majors a teacher should have and how long in collage it would take to get them? #teaching #teacher #education #career-details

1 comment Click to expand

chat-bubble-icon2 answers

A degree in education is what you're after and different colleges offer different educational focuses - from early childhood education to secondary education. And once in the realm of secondary ed, you can choose a subject matter focus - such as math ed, science ed, music ed. English ed, Special ed, etc. The particular degrees or specialties can differ by college college catalogs are a wealth of information. An undergraduate degree is typically 4 years with your student teaching coming in the last semester of your senior year. That's basically an internship where you are assigned to work with a certified teacher full time for 10-14 weeks - depending on the college and the state where you will get your certification.

Last updated May 15 '17 at 17:49

Comment on this

At minimum you'll need a Bachelor's Degree in Education from an accredited University. That's 4 years of college including one semester of a student teaching. Majors depend on what grades you'd like to teach, for example:

newborn - pre K = Major in Early Childhood Education Grades K - 5/6 = Major is Elementary Education Grades 6 -12 = Major in Secondary Education w/subject matter focus (Examples: Chemistry Education, Math Education, Social Studies Education, Physical Education, etc)

Last updated May 15 '17 at 17:04

Comment on this

Ask a new question Answer this question Follow this question

More from

Schools Add a school

No schools added.

Groups Join a group

No groups joined.

Follow Us

Ask a Question

Close form
By posting, you are accepting the terms of service and privacy agreement.