6

Can we become social media specialist by doing a digital marketing bachelor degree?

I was hesitating between either study social media marketing or digital marketing. I know that i want to be a social media specialist, but i feel like by taking a degree EXCLUSIVELY on that I would miss out some interesting things I would have learned with digital marketing. And when I look up on google, it seems like digital marketing would not give me classes that would help me to reach this goal. I'm completely lost.

6

2

Jessica’s Answer

Hi Kadiatou,
Great question and good reasoning. I would recommend studying digital marketing to get an overview of social media, SEO, some general communications, data, target marketing, web stuff. Have a wholistic degree and then focus your experiences. Maybe you have an internship solely focused on social media. That way, you're the complete package and if you decide to pivot from social media, it may be easier.
I hope this helps!
Jessica

Jessica recommends the following next steps:

Research degrees in digital marketing that have an experiential or internship component.
Look at degrees that focus on technology - this will help with skills to include on your resume.
Thank you comment icon Thank you Jessica! Kadiatou M.
2
1

Jaquelyne’s Answer

Both are great though I recommend digital marketing as the industry is evolving and there may be skills you may want to learn about. Also, there are many courses on Linked-in or Coursera that can give you a deeper dive as well.
Thank you comment icon Thank you Jaquelyne ! Kadiatou M.
1
1

landof’s Answer

Incredible inquiry and great thinking. I would prescribe concentrating on advanced showcasing to get an outline of virtual entertainment, SEO, a few general correspondences, information, target promoting, and web stuff. Have a comprehensive degree and afterward center your encounters. Perhaps you have a temporary job exclusively centered around virtual entertainment. Like that, you're the finished bundle and assuming you choose to turn from online entertainment, it could be more straightforward.
I trust this makes a difference!
1
0

Jessica’s Answer

I 100% agree with the suggestions already made and I would add one extra - get to grips with basic photography and photo/video editing. Whether you just look into YouTube tutorials or try Coursera, they are skills that will really serve you well.
0