6
Asked 231 views

How do I know what careers there are for me based on what I like?

I would like help in trying to find out what exactly would suit me for a future career that I'd also enjoy. It needs to be enough to financially support me.

6

0

Baljit’s Answer

Hi Ellison,
There are online career personality surveys that are based on your interests and skills. They come up with careers that would best suit your personality. You could also search job boards for job openings and try to research what you would be interested in doing. Volunteering and internships are also helpful in trying to figure out what interests you.
0
0

Marisa’s Answer, CareerVillage.org Team

Hi Ellison! This is a question that I think the majority of students have grappled with at one point or another, including myself. You're not alone!

My advice would be to start by making a list of those things that you like to do. The list can be super specific or really broad. Do you like talking to people? Do you enjoy solving problems? If you're in school, think about what your favorite class has been, or what your favorite lesson/unit was. Treat it as a brainstorming session, and don't leave anything out!

From here, you'll hopefully start to narrow some themes of your interests. The next step could be to write down some careers that you think might be relevant to your interests. If you're wondering more about any of those careers, search on CareerVillage for advice from professionals in that field, or ask another question of your own.

You don't have to figure our your whole career right now, no matter when right now is for you. But you're certainly taking the right steps to explore your options.
0
0

Stacy’s Answer

I recommend searching for a career test online to narrow down potential jobs based on your areas of interests and passions. There are a lot of career assessments that are available online and are intended to guide you in choosing a career path. Most of these tests ask questions to help you decide what sort of work will suit you best, depending on your personality type, your skills and preferred ways of working. Then, maybe seek to do some job shadowing or a potential internship to see if your passion and interests align. Also, email someone in your "dream job" and ask for an informational interview. Networking is definitely an important and valuable skill to learn. People always want to share more about themselves and what they do!
0
0

Rhonda’s Answer

Google is your friend. Search for 'career based on interests' as a starting point. Based on what results come up you can refine the search. Good luck!
0
0

Kalkidan’s Answer

Hello Ellison,
The best way in my opinion is by taking the online Career Aptitude Test, it will help find the most suitable career that can fit you and at the same time enjoy working. Good Luck!
0
0

Kalkidan’s Answer

Hello Ellison,
The first thing you can do is to take the Career Aptitude Test online , there you will have an insight about what best suits you. Then try looking for your inner desire comparing the reult you got. Good Luck!
0