Is there any career where I can just build computers.

5

I love doing IT but I mainly love the hands-on parts about it. Building my own PC was fun so I was wondering if there are any careers out the just for troubleshooting and pc building. #computer #it

5

6

For just PCs, probably not something sustainable. You'd have to find a niche where your handbuilt PCs were so far better than what one could get from Apple or Dell that people would want yours.

However, big server farms (like those from cloud computing vendors like Amazon) require constants maintenance. If pulling apart computers and putting them back together is your thing, I'd look at becoming part of an IT staff for a corporation where you can do that type of work all day. You might even have a hand in designing the computer componentry of the servers you're maintaining.

Hi Michael! Thank you so much for the amazing advice you provided to Isaac above. I actually had a few follow up questions I wanted to ask out of my own curiosity: 1. What are some other careers you might suggest to someone who loves working with computers? What type of career path did you take to become a software architect? 2. What next steps might one take to identify what part of the tech/computer industry would be best for them? Any online resources would be great! Thank you so much in advance. Cheers, David David Ohta COACH Translate
ahh i am going to custom build gaming pc's for people and i don't know if it is legal to do it without a bachelor's degree. i plan to start when i can but im not sure how. i cant find a job that is just for this so i might have to start my own company Issac F. Translate
6

Rob’s Answer

0

Companies who run large data centers require hardware technicians. Here's a typical Google job posting: http://goo.gl/vGa6nY. If you enjoy networking but are looking for hands-on, a certified fiber optic installer may also be of interest. Look into some of the job postings that data center providers like Equinix may have: http://equinix.hodesiq.com/job_detail.asp?JobID=4694102.

These kinds of jobs can also be great stepping stones if you decided later you wanted more of an engineering focused role.

0

Matt’s Answer

0

The first two answers are really good and I can't add much to them other than to say, "I agree!"

There is another option: Custom PC builder for high-end consumers and professionals. This is a niche, and high risk. I do know of one person who makes a living custom-building PCs for people. He tends to focus on building amazing gaming machines, and has also built professional rigs for 3D artists. The advantage he provides is a high level of customization combined with knowledge that all the parts will work well together.

If you are entrepreneurial, you might consider something like this. Perhaps you could start doing it part time while you pursue one of the more mainstream careers identified by other respondents.

0