What career options/examples are there for someone pursuing Public Health Policy as a major?

2

I feel like my field is very vague and broad so I want to ground myself in a better understanding of what I can do in my field. #publichealth

2

0

Hi Van! The great thing is that the public health field is becoming more broad and open to more career fields. I majored in exercise science but worked in the public health field for three years with the State of Florida. I worked in the community health/chronic disease department because that is what my passion was for and what I was most suited for but there are plenty of other departments. Other departments include: epidemiology, clinics, preparedness, HIV/STD, operations, finance, health education, nutrition, WIC (women, infants and children), family planning, environmental health, administrative and many more! Not sure what state you are in but a lot of public health departments have internship opportunities or opportunities to shadow a specific career field which is where I would start.

Rachel recommends the following next steps:

• Research the variety of departments/positions within public health.
  • Intern or shadow at a public health department.
  • If policy change is your passion look into more political positions or federal organizations like the CDC.
0