What is the best alternative to becoming an M.D.?

Updated Waynesboro, Virginia

I'm worried I won't make it into medical school- it's very competitive. What could I do instead of it doesn't work out? #medicine #doctor #healthcare #hospital-and-health-care

Leobardo’s Answer

Physician assistant is a good route , also competitive,

Nurse practitioner, ( the only thing I know is that like doctors and p.a. they can prescribe meditation,

That is if you want to open your own practice, p.a if you wanted to stay in surgical setting.

Christine’s Answer

When I was in college, I also considered going to medical school. I volunteered and shadowed a Physician's Assistant and Physical Therapists. This helped me learn about other fields and get a better understanding of what the different careers entail. Both PA and PT seemed like good options as an alternative to medical school if you are looking for something that requires less schooling.

Christine recommends the following next steps:

• Volunteer or shadow in various medical settings

Kevin’s Answer

Updated Houston, Texas

The easiest/most similar path is to try Osteopath school (becoming a DO). Otherwise, many students have chosen to become DPTs, NPs, and PAs. It's about your why more than anything!

Kevin recommends the following next steps:

• Figure out your what and why in terms of specialty.Research the options I mentioned.