Leah F.’s Avatar

Leah F.

46

3

What are some techniques to become a better studier?

I recently finished my first semester at Cal State Fullerton and I strive to do better this upcoming spring semester, but I need new ways to study. My old ways didn't get me as far as they did in high school. I am open to about anything. Thanks!
#studying-tips

Congrats on finishing your first semester! College can certainly be an adjustment in terms of the amount of studying that you are expected to do. The first thing I would recommend is to stay on top of your daily readings. If you actually read the chapters before class, you will get the most out of the lecture. That way, you don't have to cram to study 10+ chapters at once. The next advice I would give is to find a place to study that is comfortable for you. A lot of what you take in and remember has to do with your environment. If studying in your dorm room has too many distractions, or the library is stressful, I suggest going to a coffee shop or a different quiet area of your school! Lastly, It's important to find the right time of the day to study. Some people work better in the morning than at night, so you can build your class schedule around that. Some things that work best for me are physically writing my notes down instead of typing- I find typing to be too mindless and I would have study guides over 50 pages long with unimportant information! When I would hand write my notes to study, it was more deliberate and I would know whether or not I understood something.

Hope this helps!

Last updated Jun 28 at 10:40

Jodi has given you some good advice. I would add to it a recommendation to do the Learning How to Learn online course offered through Coursera.org. https://www.coursera.org/learn/learning-how-to-learn It will take you about 9 hours to complete, and you can do it for free, i.e. as an auditing student not seeking a certificate. If you are curious to learn how this course came to be and who is behind it, check out https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/04/education/edlife/learning-how-to-learn-barbara-oakley.html

This professional recommends the following next steps:

Last updated Sep 18 at 17:38