3 answers
Updated Viewed 367 times Translate

Do I have to go to medical school to become a cardiovascular perfusionist?

+25 Karma if successful
From: You
To: Friend
Subject: Career question for you
100% of 4 Pros

3 answers

Updated Translate

Priya’s Answer

So glad to hear that you are interested in this, and you are asking exactly the right question! Perfusionists are not doctors, but are a very important part of the care team for people who need heart surgery. As the other individual described below, you will need a college degree, preferably in one of the sciences, and likely some technical training with some observation in the operating room with a practicing perfusionist. Good luck!

Priya recommends the following next steps:

Google search to find out what type of schooling/degrees a perfusionist needs
Contact local hospitals to volunteer and get to know perfusionists directly, who can advise you further

Updated Translate

Ransi’s Answer

Great question and great to see your interest in helping patients. You don’t need to go to med school to become a perfusionist. There are special training programs that you can do. You will need a college degree (in a science discipline like biology or chemistry) followed by completion of a perfusionist training program. There is a lot of information on the web including links to schools. Do a Google search to begin. Good luck!

Ransi recommends the following next steps:

Investigate perfusionist qualifications online
Look up best undergrad degrees to prepare you for perfusionist training

Updated Translate

Libin’s Answer

perfusionist, also known as a perfusiologist or clinical perfusion scientist, is a healthcare professional who operates the cardiopulmonary bypass machine (heart–lung machine) during cardiac surgery and other surgeries that require cardiopulmonary bypass to manage the patient's physiological status.