What are some paid internships, volunteering or community for 16-19-year-olds for the summer, or even year round ?

4

Riyanna’s Answer

Mercedes,

I would recommend using a job board such as Indeed.com and typing "volunteer" in the search bar, this will allow you to find out what opportunities are available in your area. Also, I would recommend the website, volunteermatch.org, this website is strictly for volunteer opportunities.

Riyanna

Riyanna recommends the following next steps:

Look up Indeed and volunteermatch.org for volunteer opportunities.

Rihanna , Thank you so much for your feedbacks and advice it has helped me so much Mercedes E.

0

Anne-Marie’s Answer

Hi Mercedes,

It's awesome that you are looking for paid internships. They can be challenging to find, but paid opportunities are definitely out there, so don't lose hope. I come from a background where I didn't have an option to take unpaid internships. Throughout college, I've always been able to find either paid internships or programs that would pay me to work at a non-profit (the Bonner Scholar Program at Macalester College, specifically).

When I was 20, I held an 8 week full-time AmeriCorps/Vista position over the summer, and I was paid every two weeks. It was an incredible experience, and I learned a lot! AmeriCorps includes a few programs, and they generally require you to be 18+, but AmeriCorps State & National is 17+. On their webpage, you can search for positions and choose whether you are looking for full-time, part time, or summer. You can find more information here: https://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps/join-americorps.

I would also add briefly that I learned a lot about myself and developed leadership skills working at retails jobs when I was in high-school, so everything you do can be valuable if you look for the learning opportunities. I hope this helps! I believe in you!!!

Anne-Marie recommends the following next steps:

Research possible AmeriCorps programs: https://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps/join-americorps

0

Julie’s Answer

I can't speak to paid internships, however, your local museum, aquarium, zoo, nature center, etc. often do have youth volunteer programs! They do a great job to engage them in the education of other young people while developing your own skills for your next job/internship/opportunity.

Julie recommends the following next steps:

Check out your local museum, aquarium or zoo for youth volunteer programs

Thank you so much Mercedes E.

0