Paige J.’s Avatar

Paige J.

61

2

What are really good study habits for any subject?

I ask because I have terrible study habits (namely me cramming the night before and even then not really studying like I should). I'm trying to find habits that will help me when I get to classes in college.

#studying-tips

Hi Paige,

That's a great question! The study skills you develop now will stick with you as you make the transition into college and beyond. What always worked best for me personally was making study guides and just in general being as organized as possible. It can be hard to keep everything straight when you have multiple classes with different deadlines. Using an organizer and/or calendar will help with this.

You can use the calendar to plan out when you need to start studying for an exam in order to avoid "cramming." For example, if you have an exam on April 1, you can mark on the calendar what day you want to start studying (try 1 week in advance to start). That way you can say on the Monday before the exam, I will study Chapters 1-3, then on Tuesday 2-4, and so on.

Last updated Mar 03 at 02:37 AM

Hi Paige! I am currently in college and have found that actively reading (highlighting, creating an outline, etc.) is one of the best places to start. Doing this will not only give you a good understanding of the information prior to class, it will provide you with the beginnings of a study guide. I also recommend creating study groups, setting aside a dedicated time to do homework, and consistently attending class. Most importantly, do not wait to ask for help. A lot of work will become "optional," but you should still be completing it.

Last updated Mar 02 at 11:13 PM