INTERNSHIPS INTERNSHIPS INTERNSHIPS! If you want to work in industry find an engineering related job even if it is not in your field apply to it, work hard and build relationships. You will be exposed to more people and more opportunities this way. Go on linkedIn, go on Craigs list, anything really. Learn programming! This will help with any work, if you can develop good coding or macros in CAD software you will be an invaluable tool when designing things for yourself and for the company you work for.
Michael recommends the following next steps:
Visit one of the engineering associations (ASPE.org, CWEA.org, ASHRAE.org, and etc.) chapter meetings:
- Email the chapter president/membership and identify that you are a student interested in engineering career. Most chapters have a reduce rate for students or thru sponsorship for cost of attending a meeting.
- You will not understand what the topic of the presentation: The purpose is to meet; engineers who are currently working in the field of interest. During the "self introduction" just state: "I am a student and I want to be an engineer". The engineers at the meeting table will provide insight into the daily activities of an engineer.
- Keep an open mind on the type of engineering career: equipment design (pumps, motors and etc), building design (electrical wiring, plumbing, storm water systems and etc.), wastewater treatment (pump stations, chemical injection system, hazardous waste systems, and controls), building code enforcement (building structural design, HVAC systems, life safety systems, and etc.), construction (scheduling, cost, and etc), traffic control (road design), and etc.
- 99% of engineering work is will not sound exciting: Everything you touched (designed by an engineer); everything you see - boats, cars, computers, chair, desk, building, pencil (designed by an engineer); everything you operate - lights, water, vehicle (designed by an engineer).
- The type of engineer - There is an engineering association for it.
Kook recommends the following next steps:
Love towards engineering field.. Engineering is not about academic but its about skills and seeing things differently. An engineer needs to a out of box thinker
SUNU recommends the following next steps:
If you want to make a plan to become an engineer it would be hard to explain, but it could be explained as a person who study a lot, develop math and physics skills, analyze EVERYTHING that is around her/she and tries to do the best always.
Juan David recommends the following next steps: