3 answers
Updated
1168 views
What kind of careers can stem from pursuing an Operations and Supply Chain Management Major?
I am currently a sophomore at the University of St. Thomas and have decided to major in Operations and Supply Chain Management and minor in Data Analytics. Knowing the courses and skillsets developed from these two in combination, what are some realistic careers and jobs that I can land with this?
Login to comment
3 answers
Updated
Courtney’s Answer
There are a lot of great careers that can stem from Operations and SCM. It really depends on what field you want to go into. For example, if you want to go into operations management, that could look like running a corporation and the day-to-day processes that impact the business. I am an operations manager and in my role, there are so many different aspects that are challenging and rewarding. I am able to solve problems, think critically, and help others reach solutions. Some days are hard but there are also great days where I feel impactful within my role.
Supply chain management is also a great field. Growing up, my father was in the military and he did logistics/supply chain management. He loved his job and coordinating Air Force missions, machine parts, and more. You could work within a manufacturing plant doing SCM or operations.
Supply chain management is also a great field. Growing up, my father was in the military and he did logistics/supply chain management. He loved his job and coordinating Air Force missions, machine parts, and more. You could work within a manufacturing plant doing SCM or operations.
Updated
Malisa’s Answer
Hi Jonathan,
Data Analytics is essential for every company today. It's key to understanding current business performance and planning for the future. In Operations and Supply Chain Management, there are many roles like production manager, vendor management, and operations running. You can also expand into areas like Risk Management with some extra learning.
Here's what you can do:
1. Identify companies you're interested in working for.
2. Research open positions on job sites like Indeed.com and SmartRecruiters.
3. Reach out to these companies to learn about job opportunities.
Getting into a company early will help you grow your skills and make the most of your education. Best of luck!
Data Analytics is essential for every company today. It's key to understanding current business performance and planning for the future. In Operations and Supply Chain Management, there are many roles like production manager, vendor management, and operations running. You can also expand into areas like Risk Management with some extra learning.
Here's what you can do:
1. Identify companies you're interested in working for.
2. Research open positions on job sites like Indeed.com and SmartRecruiters.
3. Reach out to these companies to learn about job opportunities.
Getting into a company early will help you grow your skills and make the most of your education. Best of luck!
Updated
Kimberly’s Answer
Supply chain and operations offer a lot of exciting choices. I started in the warehouse and eventually moved into operations management. I learned so much while working in the warehouse. I spent most of my career in operations and people management, exploring different parts of the business to understand the processes better, which really helped me. Once I achieved my goals in those roles, I decided to switch to procurement, another part of the business. My skills from operations were really valuable in my new role and gave me a unique viewpoint. It's a good idea to research the areas you're most interested in so you can develop the right skills, but remember, there are many options within supply chain!