do you need to graduate from college in order to teach kids art?

I am a sophomore interested in learning about different careers. What are the qualifications you need to become a art teacher at a school? #teacher #art #school

1

David H.’s Answer

There are two paths to becoming an art teacher at a school. If the school is a public school you will probably need a credential in art education from an accredited college or university. If the school is a private school you may not need a credential. in both situations you will need to exhibit expertise in your field. If neither path appeals to you, there is a third way. This third way is more perilous and fraught than the formality of way number one and way number two. Become a famous artist who is so well known and respected that any school of whatever stripe would be happy to have you as a member of its' faculty. There are many on line sources for art education schools and art schools. Find one in your area that interests you and send a letter expressing your interest to the head of the art education department or the art department and organize an interview with the department chair or another member of the faculty. Most art faculty love to talk about their work and their career in art and education. Remember, to teach a subject well you must love it unconditionally, like a parent loves a child. To teach art you must love it.

Thank you! DejaCodman2 .

3

Gisai’s Answer

In most states you will likely need a college degree in teaching, with a minor in art. Or you might go to a college which offers a degree in art education. At the end of that you will likely need some more art experience . Maybe taking some art classes at an art school, or maybe find a mentor who can help you extend you art work.

It would be good if you could think about what age group you would be most interested in teaching, little kids? junior high school? or maybe high school? That's hard to know without experience but it is something to consider.
You might also consult the guidance counselor in your school, if you have one.
It is also possible to teach art in an after school program or in a community center, but there you will not earn much money.
Best wishes for success in whatever direction you will be going

Thank you! I think that if I became a art teacher I would probably want to teach little kids. DejaCodman2 .

1

Carol’s Answer

I am an art teacher who teaches in a private school but I am also certified to teach art in grades K-12. You can certainly teach children art informally, but to get a stable job that pays well and has health and retirement benefits you should go to college for art education. Many state colleges have art education undergraduate as well as graduate programs. I got a BA in art as an undergrad and when I finished I wasn't qualified to get a good job, so I went back and got a master's in art education from a state college. It was the best decision I ever made. I took out loans to pay my tuition and with the good teaching job I was able to get, I paid back the loans. College is a very worthwhile investment of your time and money if you are focused. It's a good idea to work in the field whenever possible, such as teaching art at summer camps or volunteering so that when you graduate you already have work experiences as well as people in the field that know you.

1