I am a good student with good writing skills, but I cannot seem to win any scholarships. What are they looking for in a winning essay?

I think I am writing good answers to the essay questions on scholarships I think I could win, but I have not had much luck. I wonder if there is a winning formula. Something I need to be sure to include or a certain style? #scholarships #essay

2

Fiwany’s Answer

While I have not applied for a number of scholarships, I believe the best way is to be genuine. Reflect on your experiences and why you really want that scholarship. It's always better to tie in a personal story with the scholarship focus (e.g. academic achievements, leadership experience) rather than just stating why you deserve the scholarship, because everyone else can do this. I would say just focus on one story rather than saying a bit of many stories and really show your passion.

Again, I don't think there is necessarily a winning formula, but having someone go through your essay will definitely be helpful. My go to is to always ask 3 people: someone who knows you on a personal level, someone who you don't know at all (first time meeting) and ask an expert/someone who has experience.

Keep in mind that you are not the only one who feels this way and it may just be the competitive nature of the scholarship and applicant pool. Hope this helps!

0

Cindy’s Answer

Scholarship readers are looking to be able to picture you from your essay and see where you are at and where you want to go. Most of all have you talk about any hardships and why you need the scholarship.

Cindy recommends the following next steps:

Have someone read your essay before you submit it.

0