Skip to main content
11 answers
12
Asked 2138 views

What exactly makes a person choose their “forever career?”

What exactly makes a person choose their “forever career?” Going into the medical field, once you start, you can leave, but it’s costly. How do we avoid that?


12

11 answers


0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Mitchell’s Answer

Finding the right career can take time, but it's important to discover what truly makes you happy. When you find a job that feels like fun and brings you joy every day, you'll know it's the one. Try talking to a favorite teacher or counselor about what interests you. This can help you start thinking about the bright future ahead.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Hazel’s Answer

Hi Madison,

That's a great question. The idea of having a "forever" career I think is a bit outdated now. Staying in the same role at one company for over 30 years is less common today than it was in the past. This means you don't have to feel "stuck" in one career for life.

If you're interested in pursuing a job in healthcare, starting with an entry-level job can give you perspective of the field. I started as a medical assistant, but roles like CNA, scribing, pharmacy tech, or even working at a clinic's front desk are also great options. Any of these positions can help you learn what you like or dislike about the medical field and offer chances to shadow providers or other professionals. If you decide medicine is not for you, you won't have spent too much time or money, unlike if you had chosen to go directly to a graduate program. If you do enjoy it and continue on to further education, this experience will look great on applications!

I hope this helps! Good luck!!
Thank you comment icon Thank you! Madison
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Michael’s Answer

Many young people feel a lot of pressure to find their perfect career right away. But as we grow and change, what makes us happy or successful can change too. Career coaching can be really helpful in this journey. There are also good online tools that can help you figure out what you like and suggest careers or college majors that might bring you joy and success. Family and friends might try to guide you, and while they mean well, it's important to listen to your own heart. No matter where you start, don't be afraid to switch paths if something else excites you more. Often, the right career becomes clear once you start working, meet new people, and gain more experience. Wishing you the best, Mike
Thank you comment icon Thanks for the help. Madison
Thank you comment icon This was super helpful, thank you! Madison
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Rebecca’s Answer

Thank you for your question. Firstly, there is no career is 'forever'. It is subje t to your interest which may change. Also, the world keeps changing, some career may no longer exists. Indeed, you are right that some professional careers that needs longer training / learning time. The most important is to find out what uiu have interest.
Below are my suggestions :
1. Think about what you interest, eg your hibbies, favorite subjects, etc. and identify the related careers
Eg if you like music, would you like to be a musician, singer, musical artist, music composer, music producer, etc
If you have interest in maths, would you like to be an accountant, engineer, banker, financial analyst, maths teacher, etc
2. Find out more on these careers and determine what you have interest
3. Speak to someone who are working in these careers. Seek guidance from your mentor, school career counselor, your parents, etc.
4. Shortlist 1=2 careers yiu would like to pursue
5. Explore the entry criteria of relevant subjects in college
Hooe thus helps! Good luck!
May Almighty God bless you!
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Emily’s Answer

I don’t think most people ever find a perfect “forever career.” For many, it’s something they grow into over time rather than something they know from the start. The best way to avoid spending years and money on the wrong path is to get as much real-world exposure as possible before committing. Shadow professionals, volunteer, work part-time, ask people what they actually like and dislike about their jobs, and be honest with yourself about the lifestyle you want. In medicine especially, it’s important to understand not just the work itself, but also the years of training, the stress, and the work-life balance. If you still find yourself excited after seeing the reality of the profession, that’s usually a good sign. No career is perfect, but choosing one that matches your interests, strengths, and the life you want outside of work makes it much more likely that you’ll be happy with it long term.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Wong’s Answer

Most people do not know their "forever career" right away. It is usually something they discover over time through learning and real work experience.

People often choose a career based on what they enjoy, what they are good at, their values, and the kind of lifestyle they want. Salary and job security are important, but it is also important to enjoy the work you do every day.

If you are thinking about a career in medicine, try to learn more about it before making a long-term commitment. You can shadow healthcare professionals, volunteer, or talk to people already working in the field. This will help you understand what the job is really like.

Also, remember that your first career choice does not have to be your last. Many people change careers or move into different roles later in life. The skills you learn can often be used in other jobs too.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Gloria’s Answer

I can’t speak for everyone, but I went into a speciality that I felt challenged me continually. I get bored easily so that’s what suited me best. After 4 years, I am still learning more and more each day. I think what made me choose the career path/ specialty I am in includes the following:

- Challenging with opportunity for continued growth/knowledge
- Enabled me to work as a team player and build relationships/trust with other team members
- Enabled me to easily detach from work once I clocked out
- Enabled me to have great work/life balance so that when I’m not grinding at work, I can enjoy hobbies and spend quality time with family/friends without always feeling attached to my career


Essentially , working as a healthcare professional in any speciality is a selfless endeavor. In order for us to provide optimal care, we have to prioritize our wellbeing and happiness. So in short, choose what will allow you to have the flexibility you need to stay healthy, yet thrive while helping others. I hope that helps!
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Bernadette’s Answer

As a person who has had several "careers" in her lifetime I found that the way I knew I was in the right place was because I love what I do. I love the impact I make with my members and although it is high stress I feel good about going to work, it feels like I am making a difference.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Karen’s Answer

Start by recognizing your strengths and abilities, focusing on what you do well. Then, set clear goals and priorities. This will help you find and pursue your dream job.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Rosalen’s Answer

I found my true passion after I had already begun my journey. You might start by studying something in the medical field. Later, you can take a master's degree or extra courses to focus on the area of medicine you like best. If you're unsure if it's the right path, try volunteering or observing the job firsthand. This way, you can see if it truly makes you happy before making a final decision.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Brittany’s Answer

Explore your interests through classes and coursework. If you like the material, you might enjoy related careers. However, as you grow, you might find that your chosen career isn't what you want long-term, and that's perfectly fine.

Consider volunteering to gain firsthand experience, even if it's unpaid. This is especially helpful in fields like medicine, where education can be costly.

Many nurses I know have moved beyond traditional roles and found rewarding jobs in related areas, such as nurse coaching, healthcare advocacy, nonprofit work, and healthcare management. The healthcare industry offers many opportunities beyond direct patient care.

Good luck!
0