Anyone who started welding specifically for small DIY or art projects, what setup would you recommend?
I’ve been thinking about getting into welding, mostly for small creative projects rather than anything serious or structural.
I’d like to make things like simple lawn art, garden decorations, small flowers, animals, signs, and other decorative pieces from scrap metal. I’ve seen some really cool metal art made from old horseshoes, tools, pipes, and other pieces of steel.
The problem is I’ve never actually welded before, so I’m wondering where a complete beginner should start. As someone suggest me the Grofab Welding Services company but I need more options where I can explore my skills.
4 answers
Dave’s Answer
I've been in welding for over 25 years now and my home shop setup is a Vulcan MIG machine from Harbor Freight and a YesWelder TIG machine. Both great machines for anything you'd do at the house. I can run the MIG machine hard on a 15amp, 115 volt circuit and never pop the breaker.
As far as your other question, visit a local steel fabrication shop. Tell them you're trying to teach yourself to weld and ask if they'd be willing to give you some scrap or cut drops to learn/practice on. Watch some YouTube videos, hit the garage, and weld. Make note of your amp/volt settings per weld, make your weld, then test it. Put it in a vise and beat the snot out of it with a hammer. If it survives that, most likely the flamingo you weld up for the elderly lady down the road will hold up just fine!
-Dave
Brian’s Answer
Something I highly recommend before you start welding as a hobby, find a way to take a class on welding that will get you hands on experience with a welder. Community colleges often have such classes, but also check for "Maker Spaces" in your area in case anyone offers basic classes on welding, that way you can get an idea if it's even something you want to pursue without having to purchase the equipment.
Kim’s Answer
I'm excited that you asked this question. Several years ago I took a modular welded sculpture workshop at Anderson Ranch Arts Center in Colorado, and I learned MIG, TIG, and spot welding--and CNC plasma cutter! I've been thinking about buying the kind of tiny welder that's used for electronics to make small armatures for my sculptures and maquettes for larger works.
Are there some vocational schools, craft, or art centers that might have inexpensive courses available? What you're describing is exactly the kind of thing you'd see in a community ed. program, so hopefully you have some options where you live.
Looking forward to seeing the answers you get. Have fun!