Skip to main content
3 answers
5
Asked 860 views

As a student, Is Welding a Good Career Choice for the Future?

I’m a student and I’ve recently become interested in welding. I already know a little about it and would like to learn more through practical experience.

I am thinking about joining a welding company as a beginner and building my skills from there. But I am wondering if welding is a good career choice for the long term.

For anyone who works in welding or has experience in this field, I would really appreciate your honest advice. Is there good career growth in welding? Can I build a stable future by starting with a welding company and gaining experience over time?


5

3 answers


0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Christina’s Answer

E, absolutely—welding can be an excellent long-term career choice. 🔥 And I especially like your idea of combining training with practical experience.

One thing I encourage students to remember is that skilled trades are not a second-choice career path. People who become highly skilled at building, repairing, installing, and maintaining the things society depends on provide tremendous value.

🛠️ Welding can also take you much farther than simply becoming "a welder."

As your skills and experience grow, you can explore areas such as structural welding, manufacturing, construction, fabrication, pipe welding, industrial maintenance, inspection, robotics and automated welding systems, supervision, estimating, project management, and eventually even owning a welding or fabrication business.

Some specialties require additional training, certifications, travel, or working in demanding environments, but developing those specialized skills can make you much more valuable.

🤖 I would also pay attention to technology.

Automation will continue changing manufacturing and welding, but that doesn't mean you should run away from the trade. Learn to work WITH the technology. Understanding robotic welding systems, automation, blueprint reading, CAD, CNC equipment, quality control, and inspection could make your combination of skills even stronger.

🎯 Your idea of starting with a welding company can be a great move if you find an employer willing to train beginners. Also investigate vocational programs, apprenticeships, community colleges, trade schools, and opportunities to earn recognized welding credentials.

Most importantly, pay attention to what parts of the work you love.

Do you enjoy creating something you can physically see at the end of the day? Working with your hands? Solving fabrication problems? Reading plans? Operating equipment? Working independently? Getting a difficult weld exactly right?

🔥 Those are career clues.

Don't just learn enough welding to get your first job. Keep stacking skills throughout your career. Become the person who can weld AND understand drawings, technology, safety, inspection, troubleshooting, leadership, or business.

That's where a trade can become much more than a job—it becomes a career identity.

And yes, you can absolutely build a future with your hands while also building one with your mind. ⚡🧠🛠️

To your success!
Christina Owens
Career Identity Architect
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Dave’s Answer

Hello E!
Yes, welding can absolutely provide you with a great career and put you well into a six-figure income. It all depends on what sector you get into. Welding can take you in so many different directions. I started 25+ years ago and it's taken me to many different sectors from basic Structural Steel, to nuclear and now Dept. of Defense.
There's nothing saying you have to continue as a welder also, although there's nothing wrong with it. You could advance to become a CWI and/or Welding Engineer.
I definitely think you have the right idea. Hire on with a local shop, gain expertise, and see where it takes you. As Robert said above, in the very near future there will be a mass retiring of welders leaving the trade short staffed and welders in demand. Nows the time to get in! Definitely listen to the Mike Rowe episode that Robert listed.
Reach out anytime if you have a question.
-Dave
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Robert’s Answer

E,

It is from what I have heard a great choice.
Mike Rowe has a podcast and a non-profit called Mike Rowe Works and he was interviewing someone from the government I think. He said for every 5 people that retire only 2 are replacing them.
Here is a link that tells the top 5 welding type of jobs.

https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?q=average+starting+pay+for+a+welder&mid=D9CE44A66FBA7D8D5641D9CE44A66FBA7D8D5641&churl=https%3a%2f%2fwww.youtube.com%2fchannel%2fUCHPyd9RQQRPeM91N5fEvmjA&mmscn=stvo&FORM=VIRE

Good luck!

Bob K.
0