Skip to main content
4 answers
5
Asked 169 views

What advice would you give someone who is just starting out in your field? What skills or qualities have helped you become successful in your career? What is one thing you wish you had known before starting your career? What skills or qualities have helped you become successful in your career? What advice would you give someone who is just starting out in your field?

What advice would you give someone who is just starting out in your field?
What skills or qualities have helped you become successful in your career?
What is one thing you wish you had known before starting your career?

Thank you comment icon Hi Zaid, is there a specifc career field you want to know about? Sharyn Grose, Admin

5

4 answers


0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Jezlea’s Answer

The best advice I would give someone just starting out is to prioritize learning over earning in the early stages of your career. It can be tempting to chase the highest paying opportunity right out of the gate, but the experiences, mentors, and skills you pick up in those first few years will determine your ceiling for the rest of your career. Be willing to take the role that teaches you the most even if it isn't the most glamorous one on paper. The qualities that matter most have very little to do with technical ability alone. Curiosity will take you further than talent because it keeps you growing long after school is over. Adaptability is just as important because industries shift, tools change, and the person who can pivot without falling apart is always going to be valuable. Beyond that, the ability to communicate clearly, take feedback without ego, and show up consistently even when the work is unglamorous will set you apart from people who are technically just as capable but harder to work with.

As for what I wish I had known before starting, I wish someone had told me that most people are figuring it out as they go, including the ones who look the most confident and put together. Imposter syndrome is nearly universal in the early stages of a career, and the sooner you accept that feeling uncertain does not mean you are unqualified, the faster you will grow. You do not need to have all the answers to add real value, you just need to be honest about what you know, ask good questions, and be willing to do the work to fill the gaps.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Sarah’s Answer

Build your career with a long-term mindset rather than chasing short-term gains. Prioritize continuous learning over immediate compensation, and focus on mastering fundamental skills before pursuing titles or recognition.

Strong communication is essential—be clear, transparent, and intentional in how you share ideas and decisions. At the same time, stay grounded by avoiding workplace drama and keeping your energy focused on meaningful work.

Actively seek constructive feedback early and often; it accelerates growth and builds self-awareness. Embrace adaptability as you navigate new challenges, and develop the ability to listen actively while articulating your thoughts clearly.

Success rarely comes without setbacks. Perseverance is key—stay resilient and keep moving forward. Take initiative in stepping up to responsibilities, even when they fall outside your defined role, as this is often where real growth happens.

Finally, cultivate emotional intelligence. Understanding team dynamics, showing empathy, and building strong relationships will set you apart and enable you to thrive in any professional environment.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Emily’s Answer

What I wish I had known: Give yourself the flexibility to explore different versions of your career path. Your career might look different based on the industry or role you choose. For instance, in Human Resources, there are many paths you can take (benefits, payroll, learning and development, PBP). I've had roles I liked more than others, which helped me learn what I enjoy most. I found that the roles I loved always involved themes of problem-solving, curiosity, relationship-building, and strategic planning. Lean into your strengths and find ways to use them in any job you take. Look for common themes and be willing to try different versions of the role you want. You've got this!
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Suganthi’s Answer

When I began my corporate job at 21, I was excited and eager to learn quickly, which really helped shape my career. It's important to be open to learning and unlearning and to be patient. Mistakes are great teachers, and we grow from them. Build your public speaking skills, share your ideas confidently, and focus on developing your personal brand.
0