How do you turn a product idea into a real business, from developing the product to finding investors and selling it?
I am a high school junior interested in industrial design and entrepreneurship. My long-term goal is to create my own product-based business. Sometimes I think of product ideas that I believe could have potential, but I don't know what the process looks like after having the idea. I want to understand how entrepreneurs develop and test a product, determine whether people actually want it, create a business around it, find manufacturers, handle things like funding and intellectual property, and eventually present the idea to investors. I would especially like to hear how you approached these steps when building your own business and what you would recommend to someone starting from zero.
6 answers
Lekan’s Answer
When I was in my early 20s, I started several small businesses and learned a lot from each one.
If I were in high school like you, I'd choose an idea based on a problem I notice or experience, talk to 10 potential customers, starting with family and friends, and come up with different solutions to see what I discover.
Get good at spotting problems and turning them into things people really want. If you develop this skill now, you're already tackling one of the toughest parts of being an entrepreneur.
And remember, your first product doesn't have to be your forever company. It can simply be your way to learn how to build a business.
Isha’s Answer
Turning a Product Idea into a Real Business: A Step-by-Step Guide 💡🚀
Transforming a concept into a physical product and scalable business follows a clear, stage-by-stage process:
1. Validate Demand First (Before Building)
Market Research: Interview target users to ensure you are solving a real problem they are willing to pay for.
Pre-Orders/Landing Page: Create a simple website or survey to test customer interest before spending money on manufacturing.
2. Design & Prototype
Sketching & CAD Models: Use 3D design software (like Fusion 360 or SolidWorks) or AI apps like Claude, Cursor to translate your idea into digital specifications.
Rapid Prototyping: Build quick, functional models using 3D printing, foam, or off-the-shelf components to refine the fit and function.
MVP (Minimum Viable Product): Create a basic, working version to test in real-world scenarios.
3. Intellectual Property & Manufacturing
Protect Your IP: File a provisional patent (to lock in your filing date cost-effectively) and register trademarks for your brand name/logo.
Source Manufacturers: Use platforms like ThomasNet or Alibaba, or connect with local machine shops to negotiate production costs, minimum order quantities (MOQs), and quality control.
4. Business Structure & Funding
Business Setup: Form an LLC or C-Corp, open a business bank account, and map out your unit economics (production cost vs. selling price).
Funding Options: Early-stage physical products are often funded through personal savings, grants, crowdfunding (e.g., Kickstarter), or angel investors.
5. Pitching & Go-To-Market
The Pitch: Build a pitch deck that highlights the problem, your product solution, market size, production costs, team expertise, and traction.
Sales Strategy: Start with Direct-to-Consumer (D2C) online sales before pitching to retail distributors or investors.
Feel free to ask if you want to dive deeper into any specific phase, like prototyping tools or filing a provisional patent!
Dan’s Answer
Share your ideas with enthusiastic friends who are willing to brainstorm with you. Get their thoughts and feedback. Also, talk to people from different age groups, like those 10 years older, your parents' age, or even older. Discuss your ideas with them to gain diverse perspectives.
Take detailed notes during these conversations, looking for common themes and new insights. After doing this a few times, think about how you can improve the process and gather even more valuable input from others. Keep going, and you'll learn a lot along the way!
Tony’s Answer
Once you have one or two successful products or services that prove to be profitable, then you can use your network to launch new products or services.
Sarah’s Answer
That does not mean you should wait to explore your ideas. You can begin now:
1. Identify the specific problem your product would solve and who would buy it.
2. Interview potential customers to learn what they actually need and might pay for.
3. Create a simple prototype using sketches, digital models, cardboard, or 3D printing.
4. Test it with users, collect honest feedback, and revise it.
5. Estimate production, packaging, shipping, marketing, and selling costs.
6. Research manufacturers and request samples before placing a large order.
7. Consult a qualified professional about intellectual property before sharing sensitive details publicly.
8. Build evidence before approaching investors. A prototype, customer interest, realistic financial projections, and a capable team are more persuasive than an idea alone.
When I started my own organization, I learned that passion for an idea was only the beginning. I also needed to understand the people I wanted to serve, how the organization would operate, and what would make it sustainable.
For now, continue developing your ideas, document your process, and seek internships, mentors, design competitions, or entrepreneurship programs. That combination of industry experience and personal experimentation will prepare you to build a stronger business later.
Aditi’s Answer
2. If you think there is anything that needs to be protected, explore the IP process.
3. Form an entity and find others are excited about the problem. These could be people from you school, friends, family or some of the people you meet through surveys. These are people who can be your core group to test your ideas or even think about different aspects of the problem.
4. Find your first few customers. See what the customers are liking and disliking. Have iterative loops to help address it. Don't get attached to the solution itself. You should be willing to pivot based on the feedback.
5. If you want to see how others have done it well, you can read up: Lean Start up by Eric Ries, How to Solve Big Problems and Test New Ideas in Just Five Days by Jake Knapp