Skip to main content
8 answers
9
Asked 1333 views

How to choose a career for myself....my 12th is going to be completed in some months...and I don't know what i'll do(I'm a biology student)..I don't know which course I have to pursue and I'm totally confused about that..I don't know what are my interests and what to do and this is quite stressing...when someone asks me what I want to do...I don't have any answer...I only know one thing that I want a career I which I will be stable in future...but by what that u don't know?(I love biology but there are so many different careers in that also I don't know what to do)..?

How to find a suitable career when you Don't even know your interests

Thank you comment icon That is a very hard thing to know, you're absolutely right. I believe it's absolutely okay that you do not have an answer for that right now. I have personally moved through multiple fields in a very short period of time, and seen others do the same. It's very possible that whatever you choose now changes over your career. So my best advice would be to take the stress out of the decision. Maybe knowing that you can always change and evolve your career path will make it easier. You're only picking a starting point, not a forever path. Zack Duncan
Thank you comment icon thankyou for your suggestion Pragya

9

8 answers


1
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Johnson’s Answer

Hi Pragya,
First, just take a deep breath. Honestly, what you're feeling is totally normal. So many people finishing 12th grade have no clue what they want to do with their lives, and that's completely fine.

The good news is that you already know you like biology, which is a great head start. Instead of stressing about finding the "perfect" career right this second, just focus on exploring things that fit your interests and the kind of lifestyle you want.

Here are a few things you could try:

1. Just jot down a list of bio-related jobs that sound cool—stuff like medicine, nursing, biotech, genetics, environmental science, nutrition, psychology, or even teaching.
2. Spend maybe 15-20 minutes googling each one. Check out what they actually do all day, what degrees you need, if the pay is decent, and what the work environment is like.
3. Ask yourself a few honest questions: Do I actually like working with people, or would I rather be with animals, data, or nature? Do I want to be in a clinic, a lab, or an office? Also, how many more years of studying am I actually okay with?
4. Maybe try a career quiz or just chat with a teacher, a professional, or a college student who's already in a field that interests you.

Just remember that your interests will change as you grow. Very few people wake up one day and suddenly know their "passion"—most people find it just by trying different things.

You don't need to have your whole life figured out today. Right now, you're just narrowing things down and getting to know yourself better. Since you already like biology, you've got plenty of great options to look into.

Good luck, and please be patient with yourself. Choosing a career is more of a journey than a race. 💙
Thank you comment icon Thank you for sharing your perspective. Pragya
1
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Rebecca’s Answer

Thank you foruour question. I.am glas to know you have interest in Biology
Below are my suggestions :
1. Thereare many careers related to biology, eg Doctor, Vet, Zoologist, Biochemistry Engineering, Park Ranger, etc. You can find out more related careers online
2. Find out more on these careers and determine what you have interest
3. Speak to someone who are working in these careers. Seek guidance from your mentor, school careers counselor, your parents, etc
4. Shortlist 1-2 careers you would like to pursue
5. Explore the entry criteria of relevant subjects in college
Hope this helps ! Good Luck!
May Almighty God bless you!
Thank you comment icon Thank you, Rebecca! Pragya
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Lekshmi’s Answer

It's perfectly fine not to have your career all planned out in 12th grade. You don't need to decide your whole future now; just focus on your next step.

You already know two key things: you love Biology and want a stable career. That's a fantastic start.

Biology offers many exciting paths like healthcare, biotechnology, genetics, pharmacy, research, bioinformatics, nutrition, and environmental science. Instead of choosing right away, spend some time exploring these areas. Find out what people do in these jobs, what courses lead there, and see which ones spark your interest.

Remember, you don't always have to find your passion first and then choose a career. Sometimes, as you explore and learn, you become good at something, and passion grows from there.

So don't worry if someone asks, "What are you going to do?" It's perfectly okay to say, "I'm still exploring and figuring out what fits me best."

You're not behind. Keep exploring, stay curious, and take it one step at a time. Clarity will come.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Daisy’s Answer

Hi Pragya — I think it’s completely normal not to know what you want to do in high school. I was the same way! I eventually chose a major that my mom wanted me to study, and I ended up never practicing as an accountant. However, that experience still taught me so many valuable and transferable skills. During my undergrad, I also volunteered with an international student organization called AIESEC. Through that experience, I met so many wonderful people, and hearing their stories opened my eyes to all the different possibilities life could offer.

So, I would say, start with what you know — what you enjoy doing, what you’re curious about, and what you’re good at — and go from there. You can always pivot later. I’m sure that at some point in your career, you’ll find yourself doing something you never imagined you would! The world is changing so quickly, and there’s no such thing as a 100% stable career path anymore. My advice is to learn to be comfortable with uncertainty and stay agile when you need to make a change.

You’ve got this! Start by asking your family and friends for their perspectives, but most importantly, keep asking yourself: What makes me happy? What am I good at? And what kind of life do I want to build? You’ll find your way, slowly but surely.
Thank you comment icon I will use this advice as I prepare for my career. Pragya
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Chinyere’s Answer

Hi Pragya,

First, take a little pressure off yourself. Not knowing what you want to do at the end of 12th grade doesn't mean you're behind. A lot of students are making a major education decision before they've had enough experience to know what actually suits them.

The fact that you love biology is already useful information. You don't need to know your exact career yet. Biology can lead to medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, biotechnology, microbiology, genetics, public health, nutrition, environmental science, research, teaching, and several other areas. The challenge is narrowing the field.

Instead of asking yourself, “What is my dream career?” try asking smaller questions. Do I enjoy working with people or would I prefer laboratory work? Do I enjoy solving scientific problems? Am I comfortable with blood, illness, or clinical environments? Do I prefer practical work or studying and researching? Do I want a career that requires many years of education, or would I prefer to start working sooner? Your answers can gradually give you a clearer direction.

I'd also recommend doing some career experiments before choosing a course. Talk to people working in careers you're considering, watch realistic “day in the life” videos, attend university open days, and research the actual subjects, length of study, entry requirements, work settings, and career options for each degree. Don't choose a course simply because someone says it has a “stable future.” Stability depends on the country, industry, qualifications, experience, and how the job market changes.

You can also make a simple list of 5 biology-related careers that interest you, even slightly. Research each one and eliminate the options that don't fit your preferences. You don't need to discover one perfect answer immediately.

Your first career decision is important, but it doesn't have to determine your entire life. You are choosing a direction to explore, not signing a contract with your future. Allow yourself to explore before you decide.

Best wishes!
Thank you comment icon Thank you for the advice. Pragya
Thank you comment icon You're welcome! Chinyere Okafor
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Tatiana’s Answer

Don't be too hard on yourself! It is completely normal not to have a clear career path right now. Graduating 12th grade is very exciting but you do not need to have your entire future figured out yet :)

Since you love biology I would suggest you explore a few options without needing to commit to a career yet.

- Try short courses first: Before investing time and money into a full undergraduate degree, take short in-person introductory courses or workshops. Experiencing the field with hands-on physical classroom experience will tell you more about how you feel about it than reading courses or books online. You do not need to rush into an expensive commitment today. Taking a few months to try out different classes will give you the confidence to pick a path that you are passionate about in the long term

- Try short courses, shadow professionals, or look into entry-level certificates in fields like biotechnology, clinical research, healthcare, bioinformatics, or environmental science to see what you are most passionate about.

- Rushing into a four-year program just to have a quick answer for family or friends often leads to burnout or changing programs. Job happiness or stability comes from finding something you genuinely love and enjoy and will be passionate about continuing to learn and grow every day.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Behn’s Answer

Before choosing a course, I would explore your strengths and interests more deeply. Ask yourself: Which topics in biology excite me most? Do I enjoy understanding people, the brain, technology, data, health, or research? Then look at programs that keep several of these pathways open.

One emerging interdisciplinary field worth exploring is Cognitive Science. Cognitive science brings together biology, neuroscience, psychology, computer science, linguistics, philosophy, and increasingly AI to understand how the mind works, how people learn and make decisions, and how to design intelligent systems.

It is so hot these days because many future careers will be at the intersection of human cognition and technology. Cognitive science can lead toward areas such as neuroscience, human-computer interaction, AI, UX research, and health technology.

At your age, you shouldn't worry about choosing one permanent career, but rather about choosing a direction that gives you room to explore while building strong foundations.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Swapna’s Answer

Hi Pragya, not knowing the answer right now is perfectly okay. You're in the exploration phase, and that's exactly what this time is for. As you go along, if you find yourself more interested in Biology, there are lots of areas you can look into like biotechnology, genetics, microbiology, psychology, nutrition, physiotherapy, pharmacy, environmental science, research, healthcare management, and more. Try taking some free online courses, talk to people who work in these fields, attend webinars, and see what their daily work is like. Exploring helps you find clarity, but also take time to understand your strengths and weaknesses so you can keep improving. Many successful people have changed paths, specialized later, or found new opportunities when they were 17 or 18. Keep focusing on learning, staying curious, and finding what you enjoy. Take one step at a time, and the right career will become clearer as you gain more experience!
0