Is it better to have a major and a minor or just a major?

2

Emily’s Answer

Hello Valeria - I always assumed it was better to get a major and a minor when I was in college. However, once I chose my major (which was mathematics), I didn't even have room in my schedule, if I wanted to graduate in the four years time, to add a minor in. I discussed it with my academic advisor as well, because I didn't want it to look bad if I didn't have a minor, but they assured me that it was completely fine to not have a minor. Some degrees require enough classes on their own to graduate, while other degrees do not equate to enough credits to graduate, and that's when a minor sometimes has to be added in.

0

Honestly, I have a Bachelors of Science in Chemistry Geology with a minor in Earth Science. It sounds impressive but to tell the truth the minor has never gotten me a job. The minor in Earth Science was simply three or four extra classes that is why I got it and it sounds good. If I had to do it again I think I would have skipped the extra classes and gotten more work and time with my family in after all that is time I will never get back.

0