How do you manage your freetime in college?

Asked Milwaukee, Wisconsin

How do you focus and get what you need to get done? How do you not procrastinate? How to do you have fun and work hard? #helpme #focus #dontprocrastinate

Angela’s Answer

Updated New York, New York

Hi Joel,

Going in with the mindset that you need to manage your time is a great way to start the school year off. Managing your time is all about setting a schedule and sticking to it. College and high school differ in the amount of coursework and the timing of classes. In college, you might have a day off or class only at 7pm, so you have much more control over your class schedule.

I would recommend creating your own calendar and block off chucks of time. Make all of your classes one color and then set another time range a different color for studying and doing homework. Create deadlines for yourself; on Thursday your homework for Monday's classes have to be completed.

Also, when I used to have classes in the mornings I would complete the homework immediately after the class, because the content was fresh in my mind. I felt as though I would procrastinate more when I had night classes because I would wait to do homework until the day of the class. I would recommend taking classes earlier in the day. So you can use the afternoon to complete work so you can go out at night and on the weekends.

Angela recommends the following next steps:

• Create a schedule with all of your classes and block off time to study
  • Try to take classes earlier in the day so you can complete homework right after the class