3 answers
Asked Viewed 4440 times Translate

Can you be a docter and a teacher at the same time ?

I want to be a Doctor but i still wanna teach. #doctor #teaching #teacher

+25 Karma if successful
From: You
To: Friend
Subject: Career question for you
100% of 3 Pros
100% of 1 Students

3 answers

Updated Translate

Jared’s Answer

Yes, it may be possible, but it sort of depends on what exactly you mean by "be a doctor" and "teach". For example, you could be a doctor and try to teach in a medical school. If you do that, you will be teaching 20 and 30 year olds. Is that what you want? If you want to do a little teaching on the side, you could be a doctor and teach weekend classes as a volunteer, or at your church.

If you want to teach in elementary school, or in high school, then it's exceptionally unlikely that you will be able to be both a doctor and a teacher. It's so expensive to become a doctor that you certainly are going to have to practice medicine for many years to pay off the loans you accrue to support medical school. Additionally, being a doctor is an exceptionally difficult and technical career. You will need to fully dedicate yourself to the initial and ongoing training in order to maintain your craft. Again, it depends on what you mean by teach.

Why do you want to teach? What excites you about the idea of teaching? Why do you want to be a doctor?

Thank very much Keerthana M.

100% of 1 Students
Updated Translate

Rachel’s Answer

I am not sure about becoming a doctor but to become a teacher this is what you have to do: (keep in mind that doctors need 9-10 years of school after high school. So if you wanted to be both a teacher and a doctor you would need to go through schooling for both professions. For a teacher, the pathway is as follows:

It really depends what type of teacher you would like to be. However the main pathways are generally the same and the options vary but go along the same lines.

  1. You need to graduate high school.
  2. You need to attend a college/university and earn a four- year B.A. degree. You will want to get a bachelors degree in the subject-matter that you want to teach, this makes certification in your state and subject-area feasible. You may opt to minor or double-major in education. You do not need to have a bachelors in education to be a teacher. I would suggest getting a bachelors degree in the subject you would like to teach. (for example: I am an English teacher, I majored in English literature and now have a bachelors in English).
  3. Once you graduate college with your bachelors degree you have a few options:

A. Go directly to Graduate school and obtain your masters in the area of teaching/education you want to teach (ie. Masters of Education, Masters of Teaching, Masters of Secondary English, Masters of Teaching in Secondary English, Masters of Teaching in Elementary, Masters of Special Education etc.). You may also opt to get a masters degree in the subject-are you wish to teach. However, while in graduate school you must obtain a masters degree in some variation of teaching/education. So you will have either a MAT (Masters of Teaching) or MED (Masters of Education). Most graduate schools have one of the two programs and offer a variation depending on the subject (ie. Masters of Teaching in Secondary English or Masters of Education in Secondary English). This option is ussually a fifth year pathway that allows you to student teach at a school while earning your masters degree.

B. You can apply to an Alternative Route to Certification (if you state has options/offers this). This would look like a program like TeachForAmerica, AmeriCorps TutorCorps, or other Teacher Residency Programs (ie. KIPP Teaching Fellows, MATCH Schools, or charter schools that offer Teacher Resident positions. Look up the options in your state or the options available if state is not a boundary for you. During the year or two-year commitment of these programs you would typically also have classes or being earning a masters degree. This option is for teachers who want to start working directly after they graduate college. Some programs lead to Certification in your state and others lead to BOTH Certification and a Masters Degree. The ARC programs lead to 90 day certifications, which then lead to Initial Educator Certification OR Resident Teacher Certification (ALL are pathways to FULL certification in your state).

  1. Regardless of which route you take you will need to take the certification exams in your state. MOST states, including CT (which is the information I know because it is my state) require the PRAXIS exams. You will need to research certification requirements within your own state for more information. However, while you are earning your masters (or after you have earned your bachelors) you will want to also prepare for and take the PRAXIS Core (which can be waived if your SAT/ACT scores are high enough) and the PRAXIS II which cannot be waived and MUST be passed for certification.
  2. Once you have obtained your Bachelors degree AND Masters degree AND Passed your state certification exams AND done some form of students teaching (whether that is during college or in a residency program) you can then:
  3. Go to your state board of education website and complete your certification information.
  4. Then, you can APPLY as a LEAD teacher in the area you are certified.

MOST pathways take 4-6 years. You will be able to start your first year of teaching as a lead teacher generally in year 5 or 6.

This professional recommends the following next steps:

Earn a bachelors degree in the subject area you would like to teach in AND or a bachelors in Education.Decide if you want to do a teaching Residency program like Teach For America or if you would like to go straight to graduate school to earn your masters degree.Apply to Graduate schools and Teaching Residency programs. During your senior year of college.Begin your first year of grad school or teaching residency.Earn your Masters degree in Education or Teaching, in the area you would like to teach in.

100% of 1 Pros
Updated Translate

Blake’s Answer

Hey Aisha,

Technically you could do both, but you wouldn't be able to do both full time. You could potentially have a private office to practice medicine on the days you don't teach school.