How often do diplomats change countries?

2

I was wondering if this is why they need 3 world languages #foreign-languages #communication #career

2

Jono’s Answer

1

Hi there Ana - good question! In the US Foreign Service, most career diplomats change posts ever one to three years. It's a great career choice and I have had several friends love the experience. Here is a great guide to the foreign service: https://www.state.gov/documents/organization/101170.pdf

Jono

1

Sarah’s Answer

0
Hi Ana -- Jono's answer is correct and I will add that languages are very helpful to know but in the US Foreign Service when you join you typically have "worldwide availability" which means you can be sent anywhere in the world, so you may not previously know the language you need. However, if you do need it for your job, you will receive training in it. This is something not all diplomatic corps do but it is nice to be able to speak at least some of the local language and it often helps tremendously, even if your counterparts may speak English, too. I've been part of the Foreign Service community for years and it is a unique -- and uniquely rewarding -- lifestyle!
0