How many years does it take to be a paramedic?

Asked New York, New York

Montressa’s Answer

Updated Wilmington, North Carolina

Great question! You can become an EMT and get your hours then you can start Paramedic school/training within two years of being an EMT. They want you have some experience before moving up.

Jennifer’s Answer

Updated Dallas, Texas

Hi Larel!

I am in no way qualified to give you a definite answer on this but I saw your question and got curious to learn more about paramedics. So I did some research and I found out the general sequence of events to become a paramedic...

1)  graduate with a high school diploma or obtain your GED

2) become EMT-Basic certified

3) pass a licensing exam

4) gain work experience (it looks like 1-3 years is the norm)

5) complete a paramedic training program (looks like 1-2 years is the norm)

6) obtain state licensure

Here is one of the resources I used to find this information: https://study.com/articles/EMT_-_Paramedic_How_to_Become_a_Paramedic.html

I hope this helps!

Jennifer recommends the following next steps:

• Make sure you have a high school diploma or GED
  • become EMT certified (find a program that will give you the correct requirements for NY if that is where you plan on working)
  • pass a licensing exam (again probably best to make sure you are taking on specifically for the state you plan to work in)
  • research hospitals where you would like to work to gain EMT work experience and paramedic training programs

Updated Los Angeles, California

Larel, it looks like they are about a year long now. I highly recommend the two year associate degree programs. I also recommend riding along with the paramedics, especially in New York City. You will know real quick, if that’s what you want to do. I did this when I was 18 and I knew right away that’s what I wanted to do. You can contact your local EMS and ask to speak to a supervisor. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask me.