How many years does it take to be a paramedic?

3

Jennifer’s Answer

Hi Larel!

I am in no way qualified to give you a definite answer on this but I saw your question and got curious to learn more about paramedics. So I did some research and I found out the general sequence of events to become a paramedic...

1)  graduate with a high school diploma or obtain your GED

2) become EMT-Basic certified

3) pass a licensing exam

4) gain work experience (it looks like 1-3 years is the norm)

5) complete a paramedic training program (looks like 1-2 years is the norm)

6) obtain state licensure

Here is one of the resources I used to find this information: https://study.com/articles/EMT_-_Paramedic_How_to_Become_a_Paramedic.html

I hope this helps!

Jennifer recommends the following next steps:

Make sure you have a high school diploma or GED
become EMT certified (find a program that will give you the correct requirements for NY if that is where you plan on working)
pass a licensing exam (again probably best to make sure you are taking on specifically for the state you plan to work in)
research hospitals where you would like to work to gain EMT work experience and paramedic training programs

0

Larel, it looks like they are about a year long now. I highly recommend the two year associate degree programs. I also recommend riding along with the paramedics, especially in New York City. You will know real quick, if that’s what you want to do. I did this when I was 18 and I knew right away that’s what I wanted to do. You can contact your local EMS and ask to speak to a supervisor. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask me.

0

Montressa’s Answer

Great question! You can become an EMT and get your hours then you can start Paramedic school/training within two years of being an EMT. They want you have some experience before moving up.

0