Im interested in becoming a phlebotomist, what steps could I take to get there?

Srishti’s Answer

Hi Horizon! This is a great question! I used to work at a company that employed phlebotomists around the United States to perform in-home sample collection (blood, fecal, saliva, etc) for bed-bound patients. It looks like you're writing in from California, so you can visit the California State Health Department website to learn more about how to become a phlebotomist: https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/OSPHLD/LFS/Pages/Phlebotomist.aspx

Some key things to note:

• To be a phlebotomist, you must have successfully completed a certification course that provides medical training on how to perform phlebotomy related tasks.
  • Every state has a set of requirements for what constitutes as phlebotomy training. For the most part, the requirements overlap significantly; however, to the best of my knowledge, California and New York have the most stringent certification requirements.
  • You can usually find licensed certification programs where you can enroll in classes to help you prepare for the certification exam by doing a quick google search of training schools in your area. (https://www.google.com/search?q=phlebotomy+training&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS811US811&oq=plhlebotomy+&aqs=chrome.3.69i57j0l5.4483j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8)

Srishti recommends the following next steps:

• As a first step, I would recommend that you explore the state health department phlebotomy certification site for whichever state you want to practice in. The first link I provided above has some really great information about types of licenses, schooling requirements, examination requirements, and how to maintain your phlebotomist certification.
  • Next, I would find some training courses in your area and understand how much this training will cost. Some programs may have scholarships that you can apply for. Sometimes, there are other places (community centers and hospitals) you can look to for financial support.

Sabrena’s Answer

Hi check with your local community college. There may be an age restriction. However, the course to become a phlebotomist is relatively short and inexpensive compared to other medical courses. You can also volunteer/intern at a local hospital or the Red Cross to shadow a phlebotomist.

Sabrena recommends the following next steps:

• Check with a local community college for course availability
  • Check for age restrictions

Nija’s Answer

Updated New York, New York

Good Evening, my name is Nija and it is wonderful to hear that you have a passion to become a phlebotomist.

Nija recommends the following next steps:

• I would recommend that you can conduct research on what it takes to become a phlebotomist (looking into the nature of the job, job responsibilities, the salary range, educational background, and the number of jobs in the field of phlebotomy. You can view the occupational outlook website for further research.
  • You can interview different phlebotomists so that you can expand your knowlege base of the field.
  • If you already obtained your high school diploma or GED, you can prepare to look for a phlebotomy program that is suitable to your needs in terms of flexibility. Once you come across programs, be open to visiting the school and finding out more information. Do not be afraid to ask questions. Every question that you ask is important. Create a list of questions for the school program. Also, make sure the school program has your interest at heart.
  • These websites will provide you with a wealth of information 1) National Healthcareer Association; 2) The National Center for Competency Testing ; 3) American Society for Clinical Pathology; 4) National Phlebotomy Association; and 5) American Medical Technologists
  • I encourage you to obtain hands on experience such as an internship while attending school. I hope this inform will help you to move forward in your journey of success. Good luck to you and you will do well. If you need any assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to me. I am so excited for you. Nija

Carol’s Answer

Updated Alpharetta, Georgia

Hi Horizon

While I have not recruited specifically for <span style="color: rgb(85, 85, 85); background-color: white;">Phlebotomists</span>, I have found that the best way to find out about any career is to go online and ask.

So, I went on Google and asked. This is what I have found so far. The requirements to become a phlebotomist are:

Earn a High School Diploma or its Equivalent-<span style="color: rgb(85, 85, 85); background-color: white;">You must be 18 years of age in order to enter a program as well</span>

Complete a Phlebotomy Training Program

Those interested in phlebotomy often enroll in a program at a college or a technical school. During these short-term, often less than one year, programs, students learn how to draw blood and how to properly interact with patients. Common courses include lab safety, equipment disposal and possible legal issues.

Students will balance classroom learning with hands-on training in a hospital or another clinical environment. Successful completion of repeated disease tests and skin punctures is also necessary in order to demonstrate proficiency.

Obtain Certification and Licensure

Certifications are available from the American Society of Clinical Pathologists, American Medical Technologists (AMT) or the American Association of Medical Personnel.

In order to become certified, individuals must meet eligibility requirements set by the organization. For example, the AMT requires candidates to have graduated from an acceptable training program, have completed at least 1,040 hours of work experience and to have successfully passed their certification exam. 

https://study.com/articles/Phlebotomy_Summary_of_How_to_Become_a_Phlebotomist.html

<span style="color: rgb(85, 85, 85); background-color: white;"> </span>

Over 200 schools provide phlebotomy programs in the U.S. The National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS) accredits approximately 60 programs, most of which are offered by 2-year technical, vocational or community colleges. The NAACLS as well as the site listed above provide a list of the largest schools accredited by for phlebotomy training.

There is more information out there that will tell you what people do in certain careers, other sites that might describe a typical day in the role, jobsites with openings and job descriptions as well as salary ranges for the positions, etc. YouTube may have videos explaining the same. If you look at multiple sites, look for consistencies in what they say. This should help you feel more comfortable that the information you are reading is accurate.

Hope this helps. Feel free to reach back out.

Carol

<span style="color: black;"> </span>

Carol recommends the following next steps:

• see above