Hi Julio! Props for transitioning into a new field and a new country; I know that isn't easy :)
Some of the best ways to get noticed within a community (such as data science) is to sign up to github and start some cool projects on your own; utilize python notebooks to analyze pieces of your own life and post your findings!
Another way to get involved is to look at multiple open source projects that utilize data science or are data science libraries themselves. Being able to point towards experience in the open source world is a huge plus for recruiters.
As Justin said, looking internally at IBM for internal opportunities can help you transition into data science as well.
Andrew recommends the following next steps:
- Start a github account and create some example projects utilizing data science
- Build connections in Toronto through meetups or user groups with Data Science.
- Participate in some open source projects to build expertise and build your network.
- Do some research into the visa requirements and emigration steps to Canada from Mexico.
- Research companies that are there utilizing data science and find out how they use data science in order to talk to them from that perspective