What is the job description like for an entry level product manager? Is it advisable to get a masters in product management right after bachelor’s degree?

Asked Katy, Texas

#business #management #productmanager#leadership

Heidi’s Answer

Updated Dallas, Texas

Precious, I cannot speak directly to the job description of a product manager. However, I would like to address the second part of your question in regards to getting your Master's right after your Bachelor's Degree.

If you have the means and ability to move directly into a Master's program, I highly recommend it! No matter what career field you choose, many companies will take your educational background into consideration when choosing an applicant. Having a Master's degree will typically put you at the front of the line over individuals who posses a Bachelor's Degree. I do recommend choosing a broad field of study for your Master's degree that can be used in a multitude of careers (ie: Business Management). However, if you know that you absolutely want to pursue product management, do not hesitate to gain all of the relevant knowledge specific to that field.

I will tell you that it becomes much more difficult to go back to school to obtain your Master's Degree once you start your career. Some companies offer Tuition Assistance, which does help, but finding the time is typically the largest hurdle. I personally wish that I would have enrolled in a Master's program right after I graduated with my Bachelor's Degree. There are some companies that will only hire employees with a Master's Degree once they get to a certain level.

I wish you the best of luck in your decision and your future career path!

Heidi recommends the following next steps:

• Research Product Management Careers via platforms like Indeed.com and look at the descriptions and requirements to see what level of education they typically look for.

Robin’s Answer

Updated Summerville, SC

I did not get my master's degree until 20 years into my career and I will never regret it.  I do wish I had gotten it earlier, although it was not required.