If my strengths are my communication and hobbies are basketball and collecting shoes, what types of career or industries might best fit me?

4
Pros
4
0

Stephan’s Answer

There will be a lot of opportunities for you in sales, marketing, journalism, all related to your hobbies. I would focus on the sport you love, because the fashion industry is on the move as you know ( changes very quickly ). And you might be able to run your sport shoe shop whenever you like anyway ... ?

1
Pros
1
0

Molly’s Answer

You might be surprised at the opportunities available with a communications degree! My undergrad was in journalism and public relations. While working at a public relations agency, I was able to work with a consumer brand who sponsored the Olympic Games and FIFA World Cup. From Beijing to Vancouver to South Africa, it was not only a professional opportunity, but aligned with my love of sports and philanthropy. I truly believe the best careers are those that align your strengths with your personal passions. Best of luck!

0

Judy’s Answer

Hi Reese,

Sounds like you'd be well-suited for a sales career in the sports industry! I don't have any experience in that field. But, I do know that I was an artist and writer growing up. When I had to pick a major in college, I couldn't decide which one so I double-majored in English and Fine Art. This led me to my first job at a major corporation as a copywriter and graphic designer. Years later, I'm a marketing manager so it really worked out well. Start small and you just may end of in the best job you could imagine like I did.

Judy recommends the following next steps:

I'd suggest you check out "Indeed.com" and search for sports sales jobs. Read the descriptions and see if that fits you and your goals.
0

SANDRA’s Answer

Hi Reese, my first thought when reading your question is sales as well, sports related or not. Because you like communication you may be a very good at understanding customer needs and addressing them with what you are selling. When I was trying to decide what to do I had many subjects in mind but to keep it simpler, I could be a fitness trainer or get a business degree in marketing. I also thought of how I could use each of them in different states or countries in terms of pay if I were to move back to my country.

Because I really could see myself doing either and being good at them, I chose the business degree and still do the gym stuff on my own because it is a hobby. So you can do sales and have your hobbies on the side.

Hope this helps.

0