What career can I be in my favor, since I passion for fixing the criminal justice system and being able to help people by listen to them and understanding their mindset behind their actions?

Updated New York, New York

My name is Aiyana, I am a senior in high school, who struggled but later on understood my mindset and what caused me to struggle to change. Through overcoming and reflexing I learned a lot about myself and that lead me to build a passion to help other who are in need for help and someone to just listen to their problems. I am also on the debate team at my school and have a passion for arguing and finding justice in what's unfair by giving each person their fair dues. Fixing the broken criminal justice system is very complex and difficult, however I believe it can and needs to be fixed. Understanding the system I realized that their is valid evidence for everything and investigating is something that I am good at making me love criminology and Forensic science the evidence can not lie and I like to have proof or reason to understand the situation. I will be starting college in the fall of 2016 and I'll be majoring in Psychology as a starting point for me. I am asking this question because I have researched and it not likely for me to find a job right after college in the field that I am. I also want to combine the things I love doing to benefit me in the future. #criminology #forensic-psychology #criminal-defense

Lauren’s Answer

Updated Baltimore, Maryland

Hi Aiyana,

You are already on the right track by selecting psychology as your undergraduate major. I think you could take two routes after college to pursue your interests. If you are interested in reforming the system and making a difference in policy, you could pursue a Master's degree in Public Policy. If you are interested in helping those that are connected to the criminal justice system and making a difference in lives or the community, you could pursue a Master's degree in Social Work. I suggest looking into each of these graduate degrees and sample courses to see which would align better with your goals.

All the best, Lauren

Thank I will look more into it.