What is your typical day like?

Annie’s Answer

I’m a few-for-service counselor mostly because I’m working on my clinical hours. I’ve graduated but have to continue working under a qualified supervisor for 2 years minimum before I can be licensed. So many of these jobs are very low paying. So I’m fee for service. That means I’m paid for the sessions I do and not paid it my client is a no-show. Mostly everyone is always where they need to be. We make between $32-$37/session. Each session is 53 minutes. I work for an agency and they give me clients. I work with 3 year olds - adults. During the summer my schedule is amazing because the kids are out of school. While school is in session my busy hours are 8:30-9:30 & 11:30-1 & 3-5:30. It’s kinda a bummer because I can’t just work straight through my job like an hourly position (as an example). But I do technically get to make my own schedule and do what I please between sessions. I’m required to do 20 sessions per week minimum. But there’s also travel, notes/assessments/treatment plans/other paperwork, phone calls, etc. so believe it or not, 20 sessions per week is busy!

But there are counseling jobs that are in a office where clients come to you. Some offices are open 8-5, as an example. Usually those people are licensed though.