As others have already advised, what you do with your life professionally should connect with what you are interested in and what you are passionate about. Thinking about the core elements in your life that motivate you. Which subjects energize you at school, and why? These are areas you should definitely further explore. Additionally, on a practical note, you should also try to understand what kind of jobs and careers are growing and in-demand. You should not necessarily choose your career only because that field/industry is hiring, but you should have an understanding of what kind of jobs are being created, and where they are being created, especially if you want to stay in a particular area/region. And then based on your interests/passion and job market, you have an opportunity to explore jobs and careers that are meaningful to you, and can help you sustain your/your family's livelihood. And remember that a career evolves and changes as you evolve and change. What you decide to do now does not necessarily lock you into a single career/job for the rest of your life. Good luck to you!
Patrick recommends the following next steps:
- Make a list of all of the subjects that are interested to you. What subjects give you energy?
- Make a list of jobs and industries that are growing. Identify regions/areas where these jobs are being created.
- Make a list of make-have items for you: is there a certain place you need to live in, are there certain work environments that suit you best, etc. These will help inform what is important to you when decisions are needed.
- Look at the intersection of your lists - what do the subjects/jobs/locations/other factors have in common?
- Remember that what you decide to do now does not lock you into this job/career for the rest of your life. You will learn and grow, and your career will evolve with you. Have fun exploring.